How can I ping Slack users from a Jira automation?

Adam July 17, 2020

Our company has Slack integrated with Jira Cloud and I have set up Jira automations to post to certain channels given specific triggers. I'd like to go a step further and ping these users in Slack when the automation is intended for them. 

I'm able to mention their names in the Jira automation by using the issue data {{initiator.displayName}}, but this shows up as plain text when it reaches Slack and does not alert the user. 

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2020

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately this isn't currently possible. Slack requires that users are mentioned via API calls, using their Slack member ID: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-automation-with-slack/

That member ID is not available in Jira (as in it's not stored in Jira issues or users), so we can't look it up on the fly for any reporter or assignee. Hope that makes sense.

We’ve got an improvement in our backlog to track improving this here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1772, but it's a fairly difficult fix and we've got quite a few higher priority issues in our backlog currently, so this is probably quite some time away.

Cheers,

Jane

Adam July 21, 2020

Thanks for the update Jane, I appreciate the transparency!

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2020

You're welcome, Adam! Sorry there wasn't a solution for you. Feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Jane

Like Adam likes this
1 vote
elizabeth_hotson November 12, 2020

Hi there! I came across this thread hoping for a similar solution. Is there any update on the priority of this ticket?

0 votes
Arham Sohail August 24, 2022

@Jane Yeoh !! Any update on the ticket? or do we still have to use slack member Id for tagging people? It does not fulfill the tagging feature since there can be different assignees hence we cannot just tag one slack member everytime

0 votes
Merwane Hamadi July 14, 2021

When we ping someone on JIRA, usually we end up also duplicating the message on slack as well, particularly if the message is urgent. So this feature would be nice. Please consider it

You might wonder why not just use slack to send the message : and the reason is sometimes we want to archive communications.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events