• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I ping Slack users from a Jira automation?

Our company has Slack integrated with Jira Cloud and I have set up Jira automations to post to certain channels given specific triggers. I'd like to go a step further and ping these users in Slack when the automation is intended for them. 

I'm able to mention their names in the Jira automation by using the issue data {{initiator.displayName}}, but this shows up as plain text when it reaches Slack and does not alert the user. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately this isn't currently possible. Slack requires that users are mentioned via API calls, using their Slack member ID: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-automation-with-slack/

That member ID is not available in Jira (as in it's not stored in Jira issues or users), so we can't look it up on the fly for any reporter or assignee. Hope that makes sense.

We’ve got an improvement in our backlog to track improving this here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1772, but it's a fairly difficult fix and we've got quite a few higher priority issues in our backlog currently, so this is probably quite some time away.

Cheers,

Jane

Thanks for the update Jane, I appreciate the transparency!

Jane Yeoh Atlassian Team Jul 21, 2020

You're welcome, Adam! Sorry there wasn't a solution for you. Feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Jane

0 votes

Hi there! I came across this thread hoping for a similar solution. Is there any update on the priority of this ticket?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you