How can I notify a group when a task is transitioned in the workflow

Ruban Jayathas October 29, 2013

I have Jira setup so that each of the platforms (windows, mac, Android, iOS) have their own components within the same project. I would like to trgger emails to QA, Dev's and the Scrum masters when tasks are transitioned based only on the component so that they dont end up getting emails from components not relevant to them.

Can I do this with post function and how ?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2013

You can do this by using the post function. In your work flow post function file, implement your code and configure with your workflow UI.

Use :

MailServerManager mailsrvmngr = componentAccessor.getMailServerManager();

SMTPMailServer mailserver = mailsrvmngr.getDefaultSMTPMailServer();

Email email = new Email("xxxxxxxx@x.xxx");

email.setBody(body);

email.setSubject(xxxxx);

email.setTo(xxx); // Mention the group peoples

mailserver.send(email);

0 votes
Ruban Jayathas November 5, 2013

I will try out the above and see how it works. Thank you.

0 votes
Ruban Jayathas October 31, 2013

Hi Bhushan, let me outline what I need.

I have 3 development teams and 3 QA teams. lets call them dev A, dev B, and dev C. I also have Qa A, Qa B and Qa C.

When Dev A switches a task as being ready for Qa A, I only want to notify Qa A and no one else. How can I do this. Do I need to create separate workflows for each team ?

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2013

Ruban,

One way to do this is to write your own listener to look for the component changed and fire an email accordingly.

Do you have to create separate workflows? Not necessarily.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2013

Hi Ruban,

Add a custom event

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+custom+event

And then set notification scheme as per your preference for that event

Suggest an answer