How can I mark User Story as Done without first having to complete its associated Sub-Task?

aokeeffe@guidewire.com November 24, 2020

Hi Team

How can I mark User Story as Done without first having to complete its associated Sub-Task?

Thank you!!

2 answers

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

Hi aokeeffe@guidewire.com 

Basically you can do that manually from the UI by changing the status to "Done" or "Closed" - depending on which status you have on your workflow. The question here is why complete the story first before any sub_task is done? As sub_task are broken task of a parent Issue. So, if you're going towards that angle, then do not use sub_task and simply just have stories alone. However if it is a one off thing, Jira doesn't restrict how your usage goes into account. it allows you to perform such action at will.

Niall O_Keeffe May 10, 2022

I could be wrong  but perhaps the question came from this scenario. You KNOW all five sub tasks are completed so you are hoping changing the status to Closed will cascade to all five subtasks. Saving you having to do it 6 times. 5 for each sub task and once for the story.

Like Nikhil Pawar likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

You can't and should not.

A sub-task is part of a story - how can something be complete when part of it is not?  By definition it's not finished if part of it still needs doing.

If you genuinely have a done story with sub-tasks that are not done, then your sub-tasks are clearly not part of the story and should be stories or belong to the story they are actually part of.

Basically, your question is screaming "my data and/or process is wrong"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events