How can I manage email notifications as a user?

Jira send me a awful lot of email notifications. 

I expected to be able to be able to make an adjustment in my settings to configure this to a more relevant email stream. But I couldn't find how to do this. 

E.g. I'd like to receive an email when I'm mentioned and when a ticket is assigned to me. But no more emails when anyone has made an adjustment to ticket etc.. 

I have no admin rights, I just want to change this for me as a user. 

How can I do this?

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Pim,

Modifying email notification settings for a project is a system administrator function. You will have to reach out to your admin and suggest modifying it to better suit your requirements.

Alternatively, you can setup a filter on your email.

As a user, there are some changes you could perform to your profile and email notifications in JIRA. These are documented at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/managing-your-user-profile-861257126.html#Managingyouruserprofile-Managingemailnotifications

Cheers

Bhushan

Thank you Bhushan, I appreciate your answer. Unfortunately not the solution I hoped for though... Too bad JIRA gives so little flexibility for users regardi such an important topic. It would help JIRA too if people would read emails so the algorithms don't mark it as spam. 

So, Hopefully this'll improve in the near future. Thanks and kind regards...

Pim, as a JIRA admin I soon pruned down the JIRA notifications as I got so much Xitching from users. There are many good topics on this subjesct. Maybe you should point this out to your Admin!

Thanks Arthur, I will search my admin (I'm just a PO from a client within the JIRA structure of our digital agency) and see if he can make changes for me. 

Hi Pim,
There is a great solution by using Email Notifications Digest add-on that enables JIRA users to group JIRA notifications and send them as a digest at a scheduled date/time.
You will get a single digest email with the updates specifically for you. All updates are grouped by issues and you can easily track who made each update.
It will save your time and a lot of nerves and peace of mind. You can keep a bird’s eye view on important issues and not distract many times during the day.

How it works:
Once Email Notifications Digest is installed and configured, each user in the system will start receiving the digest of recent JIRA updates at date/time configured by the user).

You can configure:

• time
  • schedule
  • number of updates

All recorded actions are in the digest:

• Create new issue all issues types are supported
  • Updates to an issue all modifications made in issue fields:
    1. standard fields (
    description, summary, component, affects/fix versions, issue assignee/reporter, due date, attachments etc.)
    2. custom fields (labels, planned start/end dates, user picker, group picker, check boxes etc.)
  • Log Work
  • Comment to an issue (add / update / delete comment)
    If the user is not allowed to see a comment due to visibility level restrictions (comment cannot be visible to JIRA group user is part of), the record will not be sent in a digest.
  • Issue State change (start progress, resolve, close etc.)
  • Move an issue
  • Convert an issue to task / sub-task
  • Delete an issue

Hope that I helped!

Nataliya, any plans for a cloud version?

Thanks Nataliya for your extensive answer. I appreciate it! 

I'm enjoying a holiday now, will dive deeper into this later on. But this add-on sounds pretty good. However I think there are certain notifications that I would like to receive immediately and just mute others. And it seems that this digest mail would maybe not fit the purpose best for me. Will see what works best in the near future, thanks for letting me know! 

Is there a solution for those on the Cloud service? I still only see the server version of Email Notifications Digest still after the last comments were posted.

Hi @Arthur Mack@Kara Sheil

Currently, Email Notification Digest is available for Server version only. 

Thanks,
Nataliya

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 10, 2017

notification schemes are designed to be setup for project roles, assignee, reporter, watcher, or groups not individual users.

While that is true the deafualt notification scheme is way to much for any users, every time an issue is even modified you get a notification.

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 10, 2017

I agree, but it often has to be a compromise from those that want everything (I've had those) and ones that just want open and closed.

Yes indeed, it ends up being a comprimise and you cannot please everyone.

This indicates that Jira should let each user decide their own notification settings, which easily solves the problem of compromise. That's how websites and others solve it, and so should Jira.

Joe Pitt Community Champion May 09, 2018

However, JIRA is a tool to manage a COMPANY's projects. So management should have a say in how they want people notified that can't be overridden by individual users. 

Then Jira should give the managers the opportunity to give their employers freedom of choice if the managers want that.

Joe Pitt Community Champion May 14, 2018

But it doesn't. You can submit a request for change and if enough people vote it may happen. Have you tried floating the idea of what notification you want to see if everyone else does? Most places I've worked people want assigned to me, mentioned, closed to the reporter and nothing else. Depending on issue type there may be some more milestone events that certain roles would want notification on. And almost no one wants notification when they take action.

People need to understand this is a COTS product and won't meet everyone's desires. If a COTS product doesn't meet a critical need or desire you should select a different product or look into writing a plugin to add the feature if a supported one isn't available. 

Hi Joe, You say that management should have a say in how they want people notified that can't be overridden by individual users, however as a user you can disable notifications which completely overrides admin/management's decisions on notifications... Users should have the option to configure notifications as they see fit if the global ones don't - different users of the system have different needs, I don't think a one size fits all approach is appropriate here.  I am also sure there are many admins/managers out there that could do without the hassle of being tapped on the shoulder by everyone complaining about this limitation! I am now going to search for an existing change request to vote for; if there isn't one already I will certainly be creating one!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

174 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you