How can I make only certain statuses in a workflow available to certain project roles

Deleted user September 12, 2019

We have the Default Software Workflow which is perfect for half of the team (Developers). They HAVE to move through each of these statuses/steps. 

Example:  they must go from "To do" to "In Progress" and from "In Progress" to "Read for Review"  

The other half of the team (Systems Engineers) do not need to move through these steps

Example: They can go from "To do" to "In Review"

If I use the Project Role Condition Transition, it means that those roles are allowed to transition from the one status to the next but it does not force them to.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2019

There's no way to "force" a human do something in a workflow.  You can stop them doing things they should not, but the day anyone tries to force me to do something is the day I tell them to <insert your own bad things here>

You should create an environment that encourages people to do it the right way.  Don't say "you must", but say "you do realise that if you don't do this, the management reporting will pick you up as not having done any work" or "our users, who pay the bills, need to know where we are with stuff".  Make it their best interest to report accurately, don't mandate.

Your use of conditions to allow people who should be able to do stuff is already correct.  I'm not sure what else you might be asking for>

Hi Nic

Thank you for your response. As mentioned to @Joe Pitt , the word force was maybe not the right one, rather I want to remind them which step comes next.

These are actually workflows they have decided on individually. The dev team decided which states they needed and the Engineering team wanted different states. It is more to help them know which comes next as they are all new to Agile/SCRUM and JIRA.

Using the allow conditions doesn't really help, example:

I can allow a developer to transition from "In Progress" to "Ready for Review" and I can allow an engineer to transition from "In Progress" to "In Testing" but that means that a developer can still go from "In Progress" to "In Testing" and an engineer can still go from "In Progress" to "In Review"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2019

Ok, so I am now a little stuck on what the question is.  You've made use of conditions to say "only person type X can do action Y", it just sounds like you need some more of them - for example one on the "in progress to in testing" that only allows testers to do it, and not the developers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2019

You identified the project role condition so what I'm hearing is you want a way to FORCE the users to go through the workflow rather than just do the work and not track it in the workflow.  This is a training and management issue, not a technical one. A couple days off without pay may encourage them to do their job.  

The word FORCE was maybe not the right one, rather I want to remind them which step comes next. I know I have seen somewhere that you can have only the applicable next status available for selection. 

Example: when someone is in "In Progress" state and they want to move on, instead of all the states being available in the dropdown, only the next state which you have stipulated in your workflow is available. So if you are a developer "Ready for Review" will be available and if you are an engineer "In Testing" will be available to you.

I agree that this is a training/management issue, but I have seen this on JIRA (just don't know how to do it) before so if I can help them to get into that habbit it would be great.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2019

If you setup the conditions on the workflow there will usually only be one possible workflow to execute. I've seen a couple that allowed a branch the user picked, but that is rare

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events