How can I make fields invisible for certain roles?

Alison Hartley October 18, 2016

We are using JIRA for multiple users - developers, testers, and delivery support.  I don't want anyone but Dev to see the resolution field, and I don't even want them to see it until they set it for testing (current set up is ridiculous.. how would anyone know the resolution of a bug when it is just being created??)  Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Alison Hartley October 18, 2016

Thank you for your quick response. Currently I do have a validation on the transition that forces the developer to enter a resolution before it goes to test.  We would like to have this for metrics purposes (using it as a cause code, and have changed the values accordingly.)  This makes it a required field on all screens, even the “Create” screen, so I have created an -----Enter Resolution---- value as the default value.  (As I said before, the folks entering the bug have no idea what the resolution is at that time.)  This results in a line going through the bug when it is created as if it has been resolved.  If I don’t do this, however, when my developers receive an error for not filling in the resolution field, there is no resolution field for them to fill in.  Any other suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2016

You really need to remove all of that.

If a resolution is set on an issue, JIRA considers it resolved.  Doesn't matter what the value is.  Your people are all now creating resolved issues, which is thoroughly broken.

Make the field optional and remove it from all the screens apart from the "resolve issue" screen as I mentioned before.  Change your "enter resolution" to something clean like "do not use me"

That will stop the damage spreading, so get that done, then we can go over how to fix the broken issues...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2016

You can't do it on Cloud.  On server, there's an add-on that can help a bit, but you can't install it on Cloud.

Your resolution field sounds broken too - you need to remove it from all screens except the transition screens that take an issue from a "needs attention" status (the blue or yellow ones like open, in progress, in development, etc) to a "done" status (Green ones like closed or resolved).

Suggest an answer