How can I make a screen appear when a specific issue type is moved to a specific status?

Jonathan Tang May 26, 2021

I'm trying to have a specific screen pop up when a user moves a ticket of a specific issue type to the 'Done' status. So far I've been able to get this to work in a few ways, but none of these ways are ideal with the way our project is set up.

The two unideal ways that we've been able to get this done so far is as follows:
1. Multiple workflows: We created another workflow that would display the screen on transitioning to 'Done', and assigned that specific ticket type that workflow. This wasn't ideal because our project has many ticket types that are all going off of a single unified workflow, and having a single outlier to that didn't sit well with us.

2. Multiple transitions: We created another transition to the 'Done' status that had the screen set to what we wanted. The issue here is that we want every status to be able to transition to 'Done', but since the original transition was already set up this way, we got an error saying we couldn't have multiple Global transitions to the same status. Because of this, it would require us to make a new transition between every status and 'Done'. Having a single new transition to achieve our desired result would have worked for us, but having to make a new transition between every status and 'Done' was too messy for our liking.

Is there a way we can get the desired result without running into the issues from above?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

So if you are using company managed projects then you can add a transition screen between statuses. This will allow you to display certain fields and even require input for certain fields as well. Is this what you might be looking for?

Jonathan Tang May 26, 2021

We'd tried that in our second unideal solution, but we already have a Global transition going to the Done status, and it wouldn't allow us to make another Global transition. I found a hacky way around this by creating a new status, setting a new global transition to that status, then editing the transition to set it to the Done status, but this way still isn't ideal since it doesn't seem like Jira was intending this to be allowed.

Ilya Stekolnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

You can try to make some REST for create dialog. Scriptrunner plugin

Suggest an answer