How can I link the stories to the Epic and tasks to the stories?

Sari January 14, 2022

Hello, 

in my current project I have several tasks linked to the Epics. 

Now we are introducing the stories, It means that the stories will be link to the Epics and tasks will be linked to stories. 

Currently I don't see the option to link the tasks to the story. 

The stories are linked to the Epics, but there is not field to link the tasks to the stories. 

How can I create It?

Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

@Sari 

If you plan to follow the concept of hierarchies, you need to change the use of tasks to sub-tasks, so the hierarchy in Jira would look like this;
epic
story
sub-task

If you only plan to have tasks associated with your Story, you can do the following:
When creating the task, locate the "Linked issue" field, insert the KEY of the Story and inform what type of link there is between them ("Relates to, caused by, blocked by, etc).

The issues will be linked, but will not have the concept of hierarchy like the previous one, they will look like this:
epic
Story, Task

So when accessing the Story or Task you will see the issues linked.

If the "Linked issue" field does not appear on your screen, do the following:
Access the project settings;
Click on "Screens";
In the "Edit" and "View" screens of these issuetypes, include the "Linked issues" field.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

While you certainly can use the link feature to link any issue to any other issue regardless of type, you cannot create a hierarchy of epic >> story >> task. Story and Task operate at the same hierarchical level they both can have an epic link.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events