How can I link Jira users and Insight objects?

Ekaterina Danilova September 6, 2018

I have two Insight objects: Departments and Employees 

How can I link Jira users to Employees and Jira Groups to Depts? 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2018

There are two ways of doing so:

1. Direct JIRA DIrectory users/groups (User/Group attribute type in Insight Objects)

Pros and Cons:

+ direct relation to JIRA users/groups
+ simpler IQL queries for automations, Post functions etc.
- no reference showed in Insight Digrams
- no user attributes - like phone, contact details etc.

2. Indirect - using Insight Objects for Users (referencing one object type to another), with attribute referring JIRA USer for User Object Type.

Pros and Cons:
+ You can maintain user objects the same way as others - with attributes integrated e.g. from imports (from LDAP/AD) or added manually
+ ability to REFER objects to user, e.g. assets owned, Business Units, Management references, etc.
+ shown on Insight Diagrams
- You need more complex IQLs to refer objects in JIRA fields to JIRA user
- more objects in schema, bigger effort on maintenance (e.g. synchronisations)

This option You can achieve by using either built in LDAP/AD import or free ad-onn - JIRA and Bitbucket environments import/sync for Insight. 

Wolff October 4, 2020

Hello @PJ Wysota , 

I'v set it up like Option 2; 

In insight I created HR (Human Resource) ObjectSchema; ( & ITSM ObjectSchema for CMDB. ) And within ObjectType "Employee" = with Objects = "Hans Wolff" (my name) 

Do you have a example for the Complex IQL? and where do i put it? In Asset Type Configuration ? (We use Cloud version) but I read that I cant select on Reporter? 
Is there a Workaround? 

Insight Jira.PNG

Use case is: 

I like to report a issue on my laptop or on my mobile phone liked to me as a Jira user/ Reporter. on the Portal 

So when im on the portal i only want to see my Ïnbound; on 1 custom field:

insight jira 2.PNG

Hope you can help. Thanx already for taking the time. 

Gr Hans

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2020

Yeah, so unfortunately, as it states in documentation - Reporter variable will not work in Cloud.

As for Workaround - I don't think there is any at the moment, cause even if you bypass this at first level, by calling User Object instead (e.g. ObjectType = Employee AND Object having In/OutR("",Owned by), at 2nd level you wanna call in reference to issue reporter.

Wolff October 6, 2020

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will start testing if the workaround could work... I keep you post-it.

Thanks

Wolff October 12, 2020

Workaroud didn't work - only when I specify the Owner. 
I created a ticket at Mindville/ Atlassian on this Reporte/ User Variable we need to continue this service. 

Thanks for the help! Cheers 

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

Hi @Wolff do you have a reply from Mindville/Atlassian yet?

Wolff January 25, 2021

There is no option yet...  We have to wait... :-( 

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

Thanks for your reply (the swiftness, not the message ;-) )

Like PJ Wysota likes this
1 vote
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2021

Partly Confirmed - it works at the moment with current User() (see screen)2021-03-29_LI.jpg

However - still no progress on fields values variables, which I reported to EAP as FR. IMO it is not only ${Reporter} case, but there would be much more e.g. referenceof Jira Date Field to Insight Date atribute, e.g. 

"End of Life" <= ${End Date}

0 votes
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2021

So guys - got my hands on Insight EAP for new version in the Cloud (should be available for Premium Cloud Customers by end of Q2 2021) and this is one of use casesI wanna test. WIll  keep you posted.

Wolff March 24, 2021

Thats good and bad news...
Good news is that there will be a solution. 
Bad news is that its ony for Premium Cloud customers. 

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2021

It is always like watching your mother in law in your brand new Porsche falling down the cliff.

Like # people like this
Ibrahim_Awwad October 31, 2021

So @PJ Wysota  back to the basic question as I'm totally new to Jira and we have got the premium Service Management, as you mentioned earlier using the Users field in the Insight Schema, can retrieve users from the directory but doesn't display users' connection at any of the graphs.

We use O365 authentication and provisioning to bring users to Jira as portal users only and we don't assign licenses to them, what do you think is the best approach to link users to any assets/schema items in Insight!

Like # people like this
Sharath Mahajan February 11, 2022

Hi @Ibrahim_Awwad \ @PJ Wysota I am also looking for similar requirements, please let me know if you have any solution to link assets (objects) to particular users. Thanks

Like # people like this
Ibrahim_Awwad February 14, 2022

@Sharath Mahajan We have deployed one of the available Add-ons (Azure AD Attributes) then we have been able to use the data collected by that addon in the Service Management tickets.

Like # people like this
Lachlan Buckanen August 30, 2022

Hey @Ibrahim_Awwad - Did you find a way to link users/customers/reports to objects/assets in Insight?
E.g. seeing what assets are assigned to a user, without having to create users as objects in Insight

Suggest an answer