How can I limit view access for certain fields in an issue?

Liz-Anne Sashtry January 12, 2018

I have a couple of users accessing an issue, however I would like to:

- hide a couple of custom fields from certain users. 

OR give view access to certain users

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2018

You can not.  Jira does not do field level security (in the interests of openness, sharing and because it's quite hard for little reward).

You'll find some attempts at it done in javascript and Behaviours, but these don't truly hide field content, and there are ways around them that are a doddle (they're ok for presenting different interfaces and playing tricks like "hide if", but they are not in the slightest secure)

There is an add on by QuisApps, called "field security" which does it properly.

Liz-Anne Sashtry January 14, 2018

Thanks Nic, 

This feature would have surely made life easy.

On another note, can I configure view/ edit access for a screen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2018

It actually makes life hard, as you end up with people having different views of issues and talking cross-puprose because they are missing information the other can see.

Edit access is possible, but not by screen, it's done by project.  You can grant (or not) "edit" access to the issues within a project in the permission scheme, which allows you to do it by group, role (strongly recommended), participant type (assignee, reporter, etc), fields, and so-on.  To get very clever, you can also modify it further by using "workflow properties"

View access is done in even more layers.  You grant "browse" access to users in the permission scheme.  You can modify that with "workflow properties" (but this is clunky and usually doesn't do what you need or expect), and "issue security" which does work exactly the way you expect.  (Set a security level field, and the issue is limited to view by only the people who match the rule for that level)

Suggest an answer