How can I limit permissions on only one step of my workflow to only one user/one user group?

Janine Daniels September 20, 2018

At the beginning of my workflow, tasks/bugs need to be approved before being assigned to relevant users. This is to stop feature requests and such that have not been approved by PM from sneaking into the workflow.

I need to be able to limit the permission of who can assign an issue to someone in only the first step of my workflow - the rest of the team should be able to bounce the issue around to other team members thereafter, so I cant just revoke everyone's assigning privileges in the permission settings.

Ive limited the transition, but in my experience it hasnt stopped people from reassigning an issue without approval anyway and the assignee has worked on the issue without noticing it does not have an "approved" status. I wish to avoid this. Is there any way I can limit this assigning permission on this one step of the workflow process? Ideally, new tasks should automatically be assigned to a certain user or group, and they should be the only ones who can reassign to someone else.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2018

Hello,

You should define a workflow property for the status on which you have the approval process.

The workflow property would be like this:

jira.permission.assing.group=some-group

You can find more info on workflow properties here:

https://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status

Janine Daniels September 20, 2018

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so very much for your help :)

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2018

You are welcome! If you feel like I answered your question, kindly mark my question as accepted.

Suggest an answer