• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I keep leading spaces and formatting in text?

I want to show a code snippet in the description or comment of Jira AND I want to mark up certain lines with color AND preserve format (monospace with leading spaces).  For example, I want to show the following and color the third line text in red:

<player instance="1">
    <description>Player device not configured</description>
    <hostAddress></hostAddress>
    <playerName>1063B</playerName>
    <defaultDirectory>/fs0/clip.dir</defaultDirectory>
    <driverFileName>libplayerapidevicedriver.so</driverFileName>
    <latency>0</latency>
   </player>

{noformat} preserves the spacing and gives monospace, but I cannot apply {color:red} to the text.  Likewise with {code}.  How can I accomplish this?

1 answer

I do this by pasting the text into a {panel}, selecting it all, and formatting it as "monospace."

The one gotcha appears to be that leading spaces aren't displayed.  You can fix this by changing all leading spaces to "no-break" spaces.  There's no question that that's goofy -- it's up to you to decide if this is too goofy.

Although this may work, it involves too much hand editing.  I had really hoped Atlassian would provide a fix or a macro to help with this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you