It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I import from CSV with carriage return and line feed in a text field?

Tilmann Brenk Jul 12, 2011

I need to import data from a CSV file into a project. One import field is the description field which can contain carriage return and line feed, but this will break the import.

I thought of replacing the CR+LF with a some text token like <<CRLF>> and then replacing it after the import using direct SQL on the database.

Is there some better way? Surely this is a common problem?

1 answer

JIRA Command Line Interface supports importing CSV data - see Import JIRA issues. Double quoted fields can contain multiple lines. More generally, it imports CSV conforming with The Comma Separated Value (CSV) File Format .

Tilmann Brenk Jul 12, 2011

Thanks a lot, now I can import multi-line fields, and add attachments, too.

Susan Price May 05, 2015

Came here to find a solution to the same problem that tilmann.brenk mentions above in OP, but the first link in Bob Swift's answer does not take me to "import jira issues" information. Can anyone provide an update? What is the trick to importing descriptions in a CSV file that have line breaks and would like for them to be imported as line breaks in JIRA description field? Thanks

I updated the link. Atlassian discontinued plugin studio quite some time ago, so all those links usually have some other location now :(. Let me know if that link doesn't answer your question.

Susan Price May 05, 2015

Thanks Bob. I eventually found my answer here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/78189/answers/8629798 Thanks again.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community, My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in...

1,636 views 3 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you