How can I have "Unassigned" as the default in the Assignee field when I create an issue? JIRA Cloud

Scott (ScottB) Blair May 8, 2019

As a project manager using JIRA Cloud, I want the ASSIGNEE field to default to "Unassigned" when I create an issue so that I can assign it to a user at a later time.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Unfortunately I don't have "Roles."

Project Settings.jpg

Soumyashreehv May 9, 2019

I am not sure what version/instance of Jira you have and I am not sure I can help without looking at how it is setup. Is there a way you can reach out to who ever helped you create the project? I see a term called "people" in your screenshot - Can you see if that has any assignments? Another spot I would check would be under Permissions

Scott (ScottB) Blair May 9, 2019

I discovered yesterday that the ability to assign "unassigned" as the default exists under Project Settings>Details in JIRA Cloud.  Problem solved

Like # people like this
Mary July 21, 2021

Thanks!

2 votes
Soumyashreehv May 8, 2019

Go to your Project Settings > Roles >Edit Defaults. If you have chosen Project lead as a default assignee, change it to unassigned.

This should solve your issue.

OJ March 8, 2022

There is no "Roles" on my interface?

Margots Kapacs March 6, 2023

the same...no Roles

0 votes

Thank you.

It is "Automatic" and automatically assigns to the overall system admin unless I change it in the drop-down. I am an admin, but do not have full sysadmin privileges. Can I change the "Automatic" to assign to  "Unassigned?"

Soumyashreehv May 8, 2019

If you are the admin for your project, yes you can change automatic to unassigned. Yoo do not need sys admin access for change in your project alone. I am not sure how your instance is set up but my recommendation would be that you change it only for your project. Even better, if you can test it out in your QA instance first.

Thank you - see below. I don't have access to Project>Project Settings>Roles. Is there a way around that?

Project Settings.jpg

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

That is generally how it works OOTB. How is the Assignee being made? It may be that you have it defaulting to the project lead? 

Suggest an answer