How can I have a filter prompt me for certain field values when it is run?

Kevin Kraemer July 1, 2011

I'd like to create a filter that has some hard-coded criteria, but also is flexible enough so the when a user runs it, they are prompted to specify some of the query criteria. For instance, I'd like to pre-create a filter with various conditions, order by clause, and displayed columns, but have it ask the person running it which Component type(s) they would like to see. Ideally, I'd like the ability to embed a query parameter like {$COMP} in the Advanced query language, then have it prompt the user for a value to fill in for that parameter when the filter is run.

Does anything like this exist? I've searched for quite a while for the answer, with no luck. Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Michael Long
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2014

If you only need to prompt for one value...   You could make the Saved Filter find a particular instance, and then the user selects that filter, then updates that last entry, ala

project = BUG AND issuetype = Bug AND "External issue ID" ~ 123

Save that filter as name FindBugz123

While its not perfect, its simpler than writing a plugin, which you'd have to do separately for each search you want to dream up.    I guess  you could use the same technique for multiple items, but it gets grundgier.   If they only edit the last item its triivial

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2011

There is no function to do this within Jira. The interface already presents a flexible way for the users to modify and work with filters, so it's generally not needed.

Justin's suggestion is the best way to do it, although you could also wrap the idea in a simple plugin and add it as an entry field somewhere (similar to the simple search at the top right). I do think you'll find your users use it once, save the resulting filter and work with that from then on though.

0 votes
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2011

You could build a web form that inserts the fields into a JQL URL:

http://jira.company.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+key+and+issuetype+%3D+%22Bug%22+and+resolution+%3D+unresolved+and+component+%3D+<insert_form_filed_value>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events