How can I graph the time between ticket creation and assignment?

Arnold Ng January 17, 2020

The more detailed question I'm trying to ask is, 'On the average, how long does it take for a team to pick up a ticket once an issue has been reported to them via a Jira ticket?'

The answer would be in the form of, 'On the average, it takes X hrs for the team to assign a ticket to a team member.'

I'm trying to view how long it takes for a ticket to be assigned once it has been created in a Jira project. Is there a way, natively within Jira, to quickly graph this historical data?

• In the history log, I can see the date when the ticket has been created.
  • I can also see when the assignee field has changed.

Can this data be imported to EazyBI? If so, how?

Thanks for reading.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2020

Hi @Arnold Ng

EazyBI isn't something I have specific experience in, but a quick look in their support pages and I found this page which might be of use.

There is also some detail on advanced data import options here.

Let us know if utilising this data gives you what you need :)

Ste

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Hi all,

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ is correct about the Issues history import to eazyBI to get the first assigned date. But these measures are not created automatically. The following formula would get the first assigned DateTime

TimestampToDate((
[Measures].[Transition to first timestamp],
[Transition Field].[Assignee]
))

To calculate average you can use the following formula

Avg(Filter( -- average
Descendants([Issue].CurrentMember, [Issue].[Issue]), -- filter set of issues
IIF([Time].CurrentHierarchyMember is -- if they are created in current time
[Time].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember,
DateBeforePeriodEnd(
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.Get('Created at'),
[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember) AND
[Measures].[Issues created] > 0) -- and other report context
),
NonZero(DateDiffDays( -- difference in days. Multiply this with 24 to get hours
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Created at'),
TimestampToDate((
[Measures].[Transition to first timestamp],
[Transition Field].[Assignee]
)))
))

Lauma / support@eazybi.com

Like # people like this
Arnold Ng January 21, 2020

I have put in a request to our Jira admins to enable 'Import issue change history' and will try this solution once enabled.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2020

Hello @Arnold Ng I'm pretty sure that we have done this for our customers using service desk SLAs and eazybi. Do you have both or just the second one?

Arnold Ng January 21, 2020

Just the second, eazybi.

0 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hi @Arnold Ng 

An issue's change log history can be accessed via REST API: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/#api-rest-api-3-issue-issueIdOrKey-changelog-get

Get change logs

GET /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/changelog

Returns all changelogs for an issue sorted by date, starting from the oldest.

This operation can be accessed anonymously.

Using this data, you can find out when each ticket was created and assigned to someone. You can find the average if you get this data individually for all issues.

Suggest an answer