How can I give a user permission to delete bugs and tasks without giving them Admin rights

I have Project Managers who run implementation projects in our JIRA application. As requirements change over  during the early stages of a project, they wish to be able to delete tasks that are no longer relevant. Currently only users with admin rights have access to the Delete function. Can I give these users the ability to delete issues without giving them full admin rights to our entire JIRA platform?

6 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Richard,

Please follow the steps below:

• Login to JIRA as administrator
  • Click on Cogwheel icon
  • Click on Projects
  • Select the project you need
  • Click on Permissions (left menu)
  • Click on Actions button
  • Select Edit permissions
  • Search for 'Delete issues' permission, then click on 'add' next to it
  • There you may add the group or user that should have the permission

Hope this works for you.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

Great ..works well

You've got two good answers already, but I'd like to add a note of warning.  Delete issue in JIRA really is delete.

No waste bins, undo, recall, rollback - if you delete an issue, it has passed on. It is no more.  It has ceased to be.  It has expired, it is pushing up the daisies. It's kicked the bucket, 'shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.  You can only get them back from your backups.  

And hence, I always always always advise people to not allow issue delete to anyone other than a tiny handful of admins who can be trusted to delete after careful consideration (if that.  In some places it's a criminal offence to use delete)

Or:
The patient is not more
Elvis has left the building

You must access the Permission Scheme used by the project and edit the permissions you want. If you've never changed anything related do permission schemes, then you should see this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions#ManagingProjectPermissions-PermissionSchemes

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 14, 2017

This forum is full of people begging for ways to restore an issue they accidentally deleted. As Nic said don't allow deletes. I use a resolution of Deleted that is automatically set in a transition only the project lead can execute and requires a reason from a select list (entered in error, OBE, Other) and explanation text. 

The steps given by Paula Silveria, don't seem to apply any more. This is 2018, and it seems like the UI has changed?

It has, a lot.

The principles are identical though, it's just the exactly "what to click" that has changed.  The things to click are all there, just maybe in different places.

Yeah, annoying that these articles aren't updated or archived when they are old. It's so hard to find any help on this knowledgebase

I am a project lead and I can't access my project settings nor delete my project issues. Why?

Because the project lead has not got admin rights in the permissions.  Talk to your admins about getting that changed.

This doesn't even make sense. What can a project lead do that the others can't? Nothing?

It makes perfect sense to grant permissions (or not) to the project lead as your organisation desires.

Some places don't care what the project lead can do differently to other users of the project, some don't want them to have much power (because they're not people who need to understand the software), others want project leads to be able to do more than other users.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

255 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you