How can I give a user permission to delete bugs and tasks without giving them Admin rights

I have Project Managers who run implementation projects in our JIRA application. As requirements change over  during the early stages of a project, they wish to be able to delete tasks that are no longer relevant. Currently only users with admin rights have access to the Delete function. Can I give these users the ability to delete issues without giving them full admin rights to our entire JIRA platform?

4 answers

Hi Richard,

Please follow the steps below:

• Login to JIRA as administrator
  • Click on Cogwheel icon
  • Click on Projects
  • Select the project you need
  • Click on Permissions (left menu)
  • Click on Actions button
  • Select Edit permissions
  • Search for 'Delete issues' permission, then click on 'add' next to it
  • There you may add the group or user that should have the permission

Hope this works for you.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

1 votes

You've got two good answers already, but I'd like to add a note of warning.  Delete issue in JIRA really is delete.

No waste bins, undo, recall, rollback - if you delete an issue, it has passed on. It is no more.  It has ceased to be.  It has expired, it is pushing up the daisies. It's kicked the bucket, 'shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.  You can only get them back from your backups.  

And hence, I always always always advise people to not allow issue delete to anyone other than a tiny handful of admins who can be trusted to delete after careful consideration (if that.  In some places it's a criminal offence to use delete)

Or:
The patient is not more
Elvis has left the building

You must access the Permission Scheme used by the project and edit the permissions you want. If you've never changed anything related do permission schemes, then you should see this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions#ManagingProjectPermissions-PermissionSchemes

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 14, 2017

This forum is full of people begging for ways to restore an issue they accidentally deleted. As Nic said don't allow deletes. I use a resolution of Deleted that is automatically set in a transition only the project lead can execute and requires a reason from a select list (entered in error, OBE, Other) and explanation text. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,831 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot