How can I give a user permission to delete bugs and tasks without giving them Admin rights

I have Project Managers who run implementation projects in our JIRA application. As requirements change over  during the early stages of a project, they wish to be able to delete tasks that are no longer relevant. Currently only users with admin rights have access to the Delete function. Can I give these users the ability to delete issues without giving them full admin rights to our entire JIRA platform?

9 answers

17 votes

Hi Richard,

Please follow the steps below:

• Login to JIRA as administrator
  • Click on Cogwheel icon
  • Click on Projects
  • Select the project you need
  • Click on Permissions (left menu)
  • Click on Actions button
  • Select Edit permissions
  • Search for 'Delete issues' permission, then click on 'add' next to it
  • There you may add the group or user that should have the permission

Hope this works for you.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

Great ..works well

1 vote

You've got two good answers already, but I'd like to add a note of warning.  Delete issue in JIRA really is delete.

No waste bins, undo, recall, rollback - if you delete an issue, it has passed on. It is no more.  It has ceased to be.  It has expired, it is pushing up the daisies. It's kicked the bucket, 'shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.  You can only get them back from your backups.  

And hence, I always always always advise people to not allow issue delete to anyone other than a tiny handful of admins who can be trusted to delete after careful consideration (if that.  In some places it's a criminal offence to use delete)

Or:
The patient is not more
Elvis has left the building

Like 1 person likes this
1 vote
Joseph Pitt Community Champion Sep 14, 2017

This forum is full of people begging for ways to restore an issue they accidentally deleted. As Nic said don't allow deletes. I use a resolution of Deleted that is automatically set in a transition only the project lead can execute and requires a reason from a select list (entered in error, OBE, Other) and explanation text. 

You must access the Permission Scheme used by the project and edit the permissions you want. If you've never changed anything related do permission schemes, then you should see this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions#ManagingProjectPermissions-PermissionSchemes

The steps given by Paula Silveria, don't seem to apply any more. This is 2018, and it seems like the UI has changed?

It has, a lot.

The principles are identical though, it's just the exactly "what to click" that has changed.  The things to click are all there, just maybe in different places.

Like 1 person likes this

Yeah, annoying that these articles aren't updated or archived when they are old. It's so hard to find any help on this knowledgebase

Like 1 person likes this

I want to delete issues but I cannot find Permissions on the left menu and I am a Site Administrator.  Any help you can provide?

Are you also a Jira administrator?  Site admin does not have to grant you that.

Yes, I am a Jira and BitBucket Administrator. Cant find the Permission option... Are there different levels of Admin, by any chance?

I am a project lead and I can't access my project settings nor delete my project issues. Why?

Because the project lead has not got admin rights in the permissions.  Talk to your admins about getting that changed.

This doesn't even make sense. What can a project lead do that the others can't? Nothing?

It makes perfect sense to grant permissions (or not) to the project lead as your organisation desires.

Some places don't care what the project lead can do differently to other users of the project, some don't want them to have much power (because they're not people who need to understand the software), others want project leads to be able to do more than other users.

0 votes

Please update the user guide, it becomes very old. It's very difficult to get any help from this old article.

0 votes

i'm an admin for our jira account but I still can't delete bugs can you tell me why?

Joseph Pitt Community Champion Jan 23, 2019

As other have said, it is a permission scheme setting. HOWEVER, as a couple of us have said: 

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

There is a Permission Helper menu option:

Click on JIRA Icon in far upper left

Click on JIRA settings in menu tab

Click on System in next menu tab

Scroll down to Admin Helper, Click Permission Helper

Enter the info of the person and project you want to grant administrator permissions to

Follow the link and instructions of how to grant access

* For JIRA developers, make this feature much more intuitive to access from a project board or other.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Wednesday in Jira

Make your Atlassian Cloud products more secure: our NEW admin security guide

Hey admins! I’m Dave, Principal Product Manager here at Atlassian working on our cloud platform and security products. Cloud security is a moving target. As you adopt more products, employees consta...

135 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you