How can I get subtasks to follow different workflows depending on parent issues.

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2019

If the parent issue is a Story I want it to follow workflow #1.

If the parent issue is Task I want it to following workflow #2.

I have both workflows in a scheme with the type of workflow I want to use. Creating a separate subtask type introduces a lot of problems so I think I need to ditch that idea.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this in Jira Cloud?

3 answers

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2019

Every issue of a certain issue type will follow the same assigned workflow BUT there's a workaround for this using Jira Misc Workflow Extensions like Jimmy Van suggests. Maybe there are more options out there but this is the one I know and the one I've used.

Let's say you have workflow A and worflow B. You could create a new workflow combining both and then simply add a initial fork with two transitions, one pointing to each original workflow. Those transitions must have a condition set so if the condition is not met you can't advance the issue through that path. In this way the unwanted original workflow will be unreacheable.

In theory you could do this for any number of worflows you want to choose from but the more you have the more complicated resulting conjoined workflow you'll get.

Things to account for:

• beware of statuses that you can transition to from any status. They would be allways reacheable regardless of the initial branching.
  • at least some automation tools that automatically set the status of an issue could set any of the statuses included in the conjoined workflow. The branching only prevents unwanted manual transitions.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2019

Regarding question one - I'm afraid it's not possible. One issue type - one workflow. So if you want different subtasks behaving differently you need separate issue types for them.

But you definitely can have conditions depending on parent issue type, though I'm afraid I can't help you with script for cloud version.

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2019

you're right with "One issue type - one workflow" but check my workaround, maybe it is useful to you aswell.

0 votes
Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2019

Here's another way to ask this question.

Can i create some type of validator which will prevent a subtask issue from progressing past a certain workflow stage depending on the parent issue status?

For instance, if I had a 6 stage workflow I wouldn't want any of the issue to progress past stage 4 if the parent issue is still stuck in stage 1.

So, if Parent issue type = Story and Parent Issue stage = 1 then Subtask =/= Stage 5 or 6

Jimmy Van (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2019

Have a look at Jira Misc Workflow Extensions. You can add validators for different JQL conditions.

I'd be keen to understand why you think a separate subtask type introduces problems though. Is it because filters will break? Users will need training with the new workflow, and it seems like a simpler solution long term.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events