How can I get a required field to NOT appear when creating an issue?

Steve Hooczko May 14, 2024

I have a required field that needs to be there AFTER the issue has been created, but not during the create issue process. How can I hide this field on the create issue screen?

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

If the field is required in the field configuration it is required at create time even if it isn't on the create screen. The link talks about using different screens for different purposes; creating, editing, and viewing. Not putting it on the create screen doesn't stop it from being required. If you want it on the edit screen you will need a script/validator requiring it the first time it is saved after editing or a plug-in like JSU requiring during a transition after it is created. 

0 votes
Adrián García González May 14, 2024

Hi @Steve Hooczko,

You can achieve this with Company-managed projects, as they allow you to have one screen for each operation (Create issue, Edit issue and View issue).

So the steps you should follow are:

1. Create a new screen and remove the field you don't want to appear.
  2. Add the screen to the screen scheme with the Create issue operation (the Edit and View issues operations would remain with the screen that does include the field).

This should do what you are looking for. Here is the documentation on how to manage the screens: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-screens/

I hope this is helpful, Regards!

So, I add the new screen to the existing scheme that contains the default screen that I'm having the issue with now, correct?

This create screen is only to be used for issue types of story and bug. Is that asked when creating the new screen?

Adrián García González May 15, 2024

That is, when you create the new screen without the required field you have to add it to the Screen Scheme with the Create issue action, then you have to add this Screen Scheme to the Issue Type Screen Scheme by associating it to the Story and Bug types.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events