It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I get a percentage of complete on an Epic in a project?

As a PM I have to manually calculate the percentage of progress on every project in Jira and add the into Confluence, so that can we check but Management.

So, I was wondering if there is an easy way to calculate the percentage of completion for every Epic/ issues inside a project to get these percentages.

2 answers

Hi Manrique,

You can use Agile Docs to show the % story points completed of any Epic (and it's cheaper than Portfolio).

You can also navigate to any set of Epics you like using your existing Quick Filters.

agile-docs-progress-report.png

To just see the Epics (and not the entire tree), you can deselect the checkbox 'Expand All Epics'.

agile-docs-expandallepics.png

Hope that helps!

Gokul N K I'm New Here Nov 06, 2019

Hey Rhys that is a good add-on you have built there. Trying out the trial now. Might end up purchasing it if it does what it promises. 

It would be great if you can build a repot for the sprint level.

• Categorise based on Issue type first and EPICs next. or vice-versa.
  • Then show the percentage completion. 
  • At the bottom show issues that were moved away from the sprint.

This would be helpful to many teams. 

A query - The progress based on the story points right? So are teams using this as a proxy for the effort involved in stories??

Hi Gokul,

Thanks for the kind words and helpful feedback.

Whilst you can't see issues moved away from a sprint, you can access only the Epics in your sprints using your Quick Filters In Agile Docs.

If you have a filter for every Epic in a sprint, which you can create using ScriptRunner, you can bring up all Epics with issues in a sprint or set of sprints.

Regarding story points, many teams are using story points for their estimates. But Jira only tracks Epic progress based on the number of issues complete.

0 votes

Hi Manrique,

I would recommend Checking out Portfolio for Jira, which can display Progress of Epics as a percentage based off progress of its child issues completion as covered here:

Regards,
Earl

@Earl McCutcheon, we use Portfolio, but this does not solve the scenario where I simply want to see in a Jira Query or use the existing Jira Widget in Confluence to display a list of epics in a summary view with one of the fields being either a progress bar or % complete as a number.

I understand that portfolio offers views for this, but what we want is a progress % field to be part of the individual epic so that we can report in different areas outside of Portfolio seamlessly... like Confluence when we drop in the Jira widget or as an ad hoc Jira query.

This feels like an omission as understanding current completion % as a data point should be a basic part of an epic — understanding epic completion % based on the status of child tasks of a particular epic is a basic ask.

Like Warren Legg likes this

Hi Kevin,

Currently Portfolio does not have any dashboard gadgets, so that wont help your use case out until the following feature request is addressed:

Make sure to add in a vote to help us track interest on this for prioritization efforts.

An alternative for your use case of a dedicated dashboard gadget displaying this info would be to use the Epic Sum Up add-on, then add the progress fields that the Add-on provides to a Filter Results gadget on your dashboard.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

247 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you