How can I generate a bar chart using Issue type, start date and due date?

Sujata January 6, 2016

3 answers

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2016

If you want to see bottlenecks in your process (ie when issues get stuck in a particular status for extended periods of time) you should look at the Cumulative Flow Diagram to see what is happening. 

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/using-a-board/using-reports/viewing-the-cumulative-flow-diagram for more details.

Hope this is not too far from what you are trying to achieve.

Sujata January 7, 2016

Thank you for your comments, I am looking for a gantt chart that can show the duration of a task with the Start dates in the x axis and the tasks in the y axis. I should be able to stack on the horizontal bar various other customized data in the same chart, for example category, this will help me know which task falls in which category. I am surprised I didn't find a gantt chart in the JIRA list of charts, it says you need a gantt chart plugin, not sure why because this is basic project timeline like we see in MS project or any other tool. Currently, I am using excel that is generated from Jira and manually modifying the data to derive the chart, painful process.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2016

Now duplicated by https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33144660 which has a bit more information

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2016

Great, we get the comment (repeatedly) on the duplicate issue. Still, at least it's actually got answers to the questions I asked on the other one.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2016

Use a gadget on the dashboard or a report.  Your difficulty might be in identifying one that does what you want. 

We could try to help, but "issue type, start date and due date" doesn't tell us enough about what you want to see.

Sujata January 7, 2016

Thank you for all your comments, I am looking for a gantt chart that can show the duration of a task with the Start dates in the x axis and the tasks in the y axis. I should be able to stack on the horizontal bar various other customized data in the same chart, for example category, this will help me know which task falls in which category. I am surprised I didn't find a gantt chart in the JIRA list of charts, it says you need a gantt chart plugin, not sure why because this is basic project timeline like we see in MS project or any other tool. Currently, I am using excel that is generated from Jira and manually modifying the data to derive the chart, painful process.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2016

JIRA doesn't have Gantt charts built in because they're not really that useful. JIRA is aimed more at the flexible and realistic project management systems we use now. Atlassian tend to leave things they don't want to do to third parties - hence the addon route. The reasons I suspect Gantts are not implemented: * Projects are flexible. Constantly regenerating Gantts is not productive and hampers flexibility as people are wedged into following the plan * Projects change. Nowadays, projects have so many variables, it's pretty much pointless planning at a low level for more a month. Gantt is suited for planning months, not days or hours. * Communication - that's the main one for me. None of your developers look at the Gantt for anything other than to make the PM think they're listening. It's too big, it's not focussed on their work and it doesn't tell them anything. If the plan changes, that's fine, but the Gantt is NOT a way to communicate usefully with the people doing the individual tasks. * Changes happen daily. A Gantt is s fixed plan that is obsolete usually within a day of being generated. Personally, I find Gantt charts useful for very high level work with large teams and long term projects, but for stuff at the level JIRA is aimed at, they're pretty much useless. If a Gantt goes down below "Saga" level, it's probably not useful (Sage = a group of Epics) The basic idea behind a Gantt is still a good one though, I just think the world has moved on - they're far too simple and static for low-level use. All of that rant copied and pasted from an old rant, I'd strongly recommend a look at the Portfolio add-on. It's not Gantt, but it does do something that helps you plan in a similar way.

Suggest an answer