How can I force a resolution is selected when issue is closed?

Angie Goodman December 9, 2016

Often when an issue is closed, the user forgets to set a resolution, so the issue is closed, yet remains unresolved.  Is there a way to either:

1) (Preferred) Select a resolution prior to closing.

2) Set a post function for setting the resolution status.  I know I can do this, but I want to make sure that if a resolution was selected, this will not overwrite it.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2016

It sounds like you are using a custom field for "resolution status" rather than the system "resolution".  Is that true?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2016

Or what Steven said too.  A customisation could do that

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2016

The Resolution field is required no matter what if it's on a screen. If they are able to not-set a Resolution, that implies you've done something custom to your JIRA.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2016

Resolution requirement is set at the workflow level and i dont believe the default JIRA agile workflows have it set as required by default. At least that hasn't been the case in our instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2016

Not really.

The system resolution is optional throughout.  But, the resolution field, when put on an edit-type screen (create, edit or transition) does not offer an empty option, and nor does it allow your to clear it.  As soon as it's put on a screen that a user goes through, it is set to something (this is subtly different to "being mandatory" - it's optional, but set automatically).

So, the posting is describing either a hacked JIRA or a field that is not the system resolution.

I don't remember seeing a change of this being mentioned in the Cloud release notes since JIRA 7.2 came out, and I don't think Atlassian would have silently slipped in a significant change like that without mentioning it to the community.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2016

Ah i think we're talking about the same thing.  I understand now what steven said.  If you put it on the screen, a value will be set.  I wonder if they have a workflow transition that doesnt surface the screen on closing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2016

The bit in the question that does not fit is "closes the issue, but forgets to set a resolution".

• If the resolution is on the transition screen, then the user can't forget.  It gets set by default.
  • If the resolution is not on the transition screen, then the user can't set it.

While I was typing that, another possible config sprung to mind.  The resolution is not on the transition screen, but has been put on the edit screen.  The idea being that the user is supposed to edit the issue, set the resolution, go back to the view, and then perform the transition.   This is, of course, a bit of a disaster, as it's vastly clunky for the user, and any edit will set the resolution, before it's actually needed.  Possibly far too early in the lifecycle - having "new" issues that are already "resolved" doesn't really make any sense.

Angie Goodman January 27, 2017

OK...finally got back to this.  To answer someone's question...yes, I am doing some customizations.  But the root cause of THIS initial problem occurred when I created a new status.  While setting up the transitions for the new status, I created a "New" transition called "Closed" instead of using the existing transition.  The new Closed transition just closed the issue...BAM. 

I don't think it prompted me when I created it that there was an existing "Closed" transition.  If it doesn't, it would be helpful.  Another way to do it would be to default the "create transition" popup to default to the "Use existing transition" tab.  Then if there was none already, you would go to the "New Transition".

To correct, I deleted the "Closed (2)" transition and associated the existing "Closed" transition to my new status.

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2016

If you dont care about the type of resolution that's set.  Just add a post function to the final transition to set the resolution to a value like "Done" and then remove the resolution field from the screen on the transition or disable the screen altogether.

If you DO care about the type of resolution that's set, then add a condition on the transition that the resolution must be set.  This will prevent the transition from happening if the resolution is not set. 

As an additional tip, make sure any transitions out of your "Done" status clear the resolution field with a post fuction.  This will prevent the ticket from looking like it's done if it's ever reopened.

Suggest an answer