How can I find broken filter?

If I delete or rename project keys, project names, fields, status, components, issuetypes etc. and a filter is using some of that, the filter will broke. Currently I avoid that if possible.

I would like to clean up our JIRA soon. But I do not want to annoy my colleagues with faulty filters.

Does anyone know how I can do the following?

- Get all JQL-Filters (in Text) including the Owner. I would then look for filters that would no longer work after a change. Then I could correct the filters manually. For this, I would assume the identity of the user (User Switcher plugin).

- Alternatively, I would need a list of all filters that no longer work.

Is there a plugin for these requirements? Or this works only with SQL? How would such a query look like? Or how you solve those problems?

1 answer

0 vote
Andy Nguyen Atlassian Team Dec 29, 2014

Hi Max,

This seems to be an old question but I just want to add on my opinion in case it might still be useful.

• As for your second point, I'm afraid that there's no way to detect filters which no longer work in JIRA. I'm not aware of any plugins which can do so and personally think it can only be achieved with SQL.
  • For your first point, or the SQL query, you can look into table searchrequest in JIRA database. You can just select all to get everything but the most important fields should be id, filtername, authorname, and reqcontent. So you may want to use this:

SELECT id, filtername, authorname, reqcontent FROM searchrequest;

Please take note that you may not be able to access all the filters if you're not a JIRA admin or if they are private. Some more SQL tricks will be needed to achieve that.

Cheers,
Andy

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,331 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot