How can I find an issue that is in multiple sprints?

I am searching for a means, preferably jql, to find all issues in a project that are in more than one sprint.  Whether open sprints, closed sprints or future sprints - if there is more than one sprint associated with the issue I'd like to query to find it.

Maybe this is beyond the scope of jql and there is a plug-in to find it or I will need to write sql to do so.

3 answers

Close, but it does not show issues that are in 2 or sprints that are  closed sprints.

I have an issue, for example, that is in 4 closed sprints.  I cant quite figure out how to make it show using jql.  Maybe this require a sql query???

Thank You, Ann!

0 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team May 15, 2017
select distinct count(cv.issue), p.pkey, ji.issuenum
from customfieldvalue cv
inner join customfield cf on cf.id = cv.customfield and cf.customfieldtypekey='com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-sprint' 
inner join jiraissue ji on ji.id = cv.issue
inner join project p on p.id = ji.project 
group by cv.issue, p.pkey, ji.issuenum
having count(cv.issue) > 1

This should give you a start - it ran on my instance and reported as expected.

Hi Ann, Thank You!  I will give it a shot now.  

So - I have the same question, and here's a 'poor man's' way to get to the information. In my case I wanted to see all issues closed in the previous release and then determine how many of those issues took more than one sprint to close. 

I created a query that met the criteria (in the last release, closed) and also included the Sprint column in the results. The Sprint colu,mn includes all sprints that each issue was in, separated by commas.

I exported the results to Excel. 

In my case I just wanted to count the sprints per issue, so in Excel, I split the Sprint column into separate columns by the comma delimiter.

Then I was able to filter on the split sprint columns to see how many issues took 2 sprints, 3 sprints, etc. 

Tedious, but not as tedious as counting by hand.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

27,211 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you