How can I filter the epics of the roadmap on the backlog with status (to do, active, done)?

Anna Dora Winius May 10, 2023

It seems that on the roadmap itself the filter for to do, active & done works fine. But when I open the epics on the backlog, to connect issues with epics. I just want to see the active epics, not the ones that are already done. 

It also seems that the name of the epic doesn't change in this overview on the backlog, once you've adjusted it on the roadmap. Maybe that there is a cache or other way I can get the most recent epic title? This also happens with the general board titles after changing the name. It seems to get the first name, not the most recent one. For example when you add new epics or issues on the board.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

Hello @Anna Dora Winius 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

The Epic Panel in the Backlog screen is displaying issues based on the status of the Epic. For a Team Managed project it is using the Status field. 

For a Company Managed project Epics have a second status field named "Epic Status". By default this field is not shown in the Epic details view, but it is the "Epic Status" field rather than the "Status" field that determines if the Epic displays in the Epic Panel.Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 3.35.05 PM.png

One way to set the Epic Status field to Done and remove the Epic from the Epic Panel is to use the Mark Done option for that Epic on the Epic Panel.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 3.36.31 PM.png

I find this to be an annoying extra manual step, so I change the project Workflow Scheme to include a Workflow that is applied only to Epic issues. I then add a Post Function in every transition to set the Epic Status field. I set it to Done for all transitions to done/green statuses, and set it to To Do (or In Progress, as appropriate) for transitions to non-done/non-green statuses.

Be advised that to align Team and Company Managed projects better, the Epic Status field will eventually be deprecated, as mentioned in this article.

Regarding your second item about the "name" change to an epic in the Roadmap vs. what is displayed in the Backlog and Board, in Company Managed project Epics currently have two fields - Summary (which all issues have) and Epic Name.

Originally the Epic Name field would display in the Epic Panel and in the lozenges that display in child issue cards. In the same article I linked above they also discuss that the Epic Name field will eventually be deprecated since it is not used by Epics in Team Managed projects. Atlassian is currently rolling out to Jira Cloud instances a change so that places that currently show Epic Name will instead show the Summary from the Epic.

In my Free instance I see the Summary from the Epic being displayed in the Roadmap while I still see the Epic Name displayed in the Epics Panel and in the lozenges in child issues.

If you are changing the Epic's Summary in the Roadmap you may not see a change in the Backlog and board if those are still showing Epic Name.

Review the image I posted above. "Epic 1 Name" came from the Epic Name field. "Epic 1 Summary" directly below that came from the Summary field of the Epic.

The Epic Name is being displayed in the lozenge on child issues.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 3.45.58 PM.png

But in the Roadmap it is the Summary that is displayed.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 3.47.26 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Can you provide a screen image that shows what you are referring to when you say the "project title" and an image that shows where "2022" is still being used?

Anna Dora Winius May 11, 2023

Yes! 

In this image you see the example I mean: The previous project name was Stressjam and the new projectname is Kana VR. But the Code of the project is still Stress. Which means that all the issues created are still STRES-001 instead of KANAV-001. 

Does that make it more clear?Schermafbeelding 2023-05-11 om 16.30.43.png

In the meantime I found the solution... It was in projectsettings.. Very logical! 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2023

"Kana VR" is the project name. "STRES" is the project key.

Changing the project name does not automatically change the project key because changing the project key can have other ramifications. But you can indeed change the project key through Project Settings.

Note that when you change the Project Key that changes the key used in all the issues already created in the project also, not just the issues you create after changing the key.

0 votes

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for your fast respons! We are working in a Company managed project.

The answer to your first question is very helpful! This already helps. And it's good to read that the Epic Status field will eventually be deprecated. That should make life a bit easier too ;-) 

Than to your second answer. That's not exactly the issue I'm running against. What happens is dat I've changed my project titel. So for example it was 2022 and is now 2023. But when creating issues or epics, it still uses the 2022 title. When looking at the last image you've attached, it's where CS stands. So at my board it's the old title that still gets used even when I create new tickets, eventhough the projectitle has changed. Maybe this way it's a bit more clear what my issue is? 

Kind regards!

Anna Dora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events