How can I filter issues from active projects that are not in a sprint or backlog of a scrum project?

Thamar Plute April 30, 2017

I am trying to filter issues that are specifically from KANBAN software development projects and not "Done". I am using the following filter:

statusCategory not in (Done) AND Sprint is EMPTY AND issuetype != Epic ORDER BY project

This will return all the active projects' issues I need but also returns issues from all of the scrum projects which I do not want. If I attempt to expand this filter using: sprint not in closedSprints(), futureSprints() and/or openSprints() the filter will return nothing at all. 

As far as I can tell these should work. What am I missing?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2017

There is no way to do this as described.  JIRA does not really care if you think a project is Scrum or Kanban, because the project does not have that.  Boards are what define the Scrum/Kanban definitions and the boards are not related to projects. 

You can easily set up a Scrum project and then add a Kanban board that looks at it as well, and vice versa.  And then delete the original board.  Is that project Scrum or Kanban?  It is included in both types of board, so it's both.  And even if you don't do that on project initiation, your users could easily do it later.

You will need to look at each project yourself to see whether you think it needs to be included in your filter.  If it does, then use "and project in (abc, xyz)" to include it.

Thamar Plute May 1, 2017

The problem is I want the filter to automatically update with any projects that have issues in To Do or In Progress so doing it manually is not really feasible with many projects active.

The project is determined as scrum or kanban at setup so I am not entirely sure what the first paragraph means exactly. This is the first feature you determine when you are creating a new project and they are different within Jira in that although they are both software they offer very different features. Regardless, it is not so important that I link by the board type, the issue I found is that I assumed if I filtered by issues that were never assigned to a sprint but were active this should list all things from the kanban style project since they were never linked to a sprint but they do not show up at all if I try this method.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2017

Sorry for the delay, Euro Summit is quite hectic.

My first paragraph isn't too clear on what I was trying to say, so I'll try to rewrite it differently:

There is no "project type: scrum/kanban".  A project type is a question asked during creation to help you set it up in a particular way, but after creation, it is irrelevant and it is not stored.

The reason it is irrelevant is that a project is not "scrum" or "kanban".  A project is a project, and it contains issues.  You can then include that project in Scrum and/or Kanban board, and I've said "and/or" deliberately - many boards of both types can refer to the project. The Scrum/Kanban question on creation simply templates creation of the first board.   Imagine a project that's in three Scrum and three Kanban boards - what type is that?

JIRA has another indicator, also called "Type of Project", but this is an indicator of whether a project is a Core, Service Desk or Agile project, not Kanban/Scrum.

So, there is no answer to "show me issues in kanban style projects" because there is no such thing as a "kanban project".

Thamar Plute May 4, 2017

Thanks for the response and information. If this is the case the only way I can see to get the result I want is by assigning a custom issue type, field or workflow etc to the seperate "types" of projects I am working with.

The question then - is there a way to automate this or at the very least initialize a project like this? For example, I use the same custom workflow for all our current software development project. Essentially any project that actually uses sprints also uses this workflow but what I have not been able to determine is if there is a way to get Jira to ask me to set the project to this workflow when I am actually creating the project instead of having to go in and do it manually afterwards (a minor nuisance but still would like to have a feature like this).

If I at the very least could do something like this it would help at least a little toward my goal.

Suggest an answer