How can I download the burndown data or extract using Rest api?

Anirban Dey May 17, 2021

I am using Jira and part of my activity includes monitoring burndown data and analyze the number of issues from the burndown.

How can I retrieve the burndown data in an excel file or extract using any api?  

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Probably the easiest way is to use the call to "get all issues for a sprint" ( https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.3.1/#agile/1.0/sprint-getIssuesForSprint ), then read each one of them for their estimates and status at the time the sprint ended if it's not the current one.   (You may need to read the board config if you don't know what status are in the last column of the board)

Anirban Dey May 20, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I think this REST API only gets me information on issues, but not the burndown information of the sprint.
Please let me know, if I can get burndown specific information using any plugin from Atlassian marketplace?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Ok, this may need a better explanation, but the "burndown specific information" is the "information on issues".  Everything you see on a burndown chart is from the issue data and the sprint defintion.

The name, start date and end date are part of the sprint, and the actual burndown line is from the issue history and estimate on each issue.  There isn't any "burndown specific information" to get from anywhere else.

I think your question leads us to another clarification from me - what do you actually expect "burndown information" to be?

Anirban Dey May 24, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I used to collect the burndown information which is available from the burndown report and compute the 'issues added', 'issues removed', 'original estimated story points' 'reopened' etc, in a specific sprint to come up with a organizational defined metric.

Since the whole information is available in a consolidated in a single report, so I would rather collect the information from burndown rather than anywhere else.

I even tried downloading the sprint data from the 'Issue navigator', but exact information was not available.

Please share if you have any idea how to deal with this problem. 

Suggest an answer