How can I display Epics & their child issues in a board with board filters?

Lena W_ June 10, 2022

Hi! 

I need help as the epics in our filtered board are somewhat unusable.

We are using Jira Next Gen, this is a company managed board. Basically we use Project related boards and then create a filter collecting all the issues for planning + sprints into one big board. The current JQL request for that looks like this: "project in (XX, YY, ZZ)"

Now, the issue I have is that it doesn't seem to display Epics correctly. They will look like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-10 um 13.09.09.png

I have multiple issues here, I will use one list item for each problem that I encountered:

• As you can see, the name of the epic is not correctly displayed, as for some reason the Labels+ ticket no. are used ("Ohne Stichwort" = "no label").
  • Also, Tickets which are part of the same project and therefore also displayed in that board are not linked to the Epics (All Epics have 0 issues in them).
  • It also displays closed epics, but this is something we could solve with a different filter query.
  • I cannot change the name of these Epics. If I change them and reload the page, the old name is back. I can't even delete them, as opening them leads me to the original epic
  • When creating a new issue in an existing epic, Jira tells me that "Issue XX-29 needs to be of type epic", but it also won't let me change the epic link:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-10 um 13.30.15.png

What am I doing wrong? I assume the issue here is that Jira is cloning the epics, but not the tickets, so they already have Epics linked. Ideally, I would like to have the same view as in Project Boards, with the epic labels visible in each story/task card - Whether I can see the epics on the board doesn't matter to me. How can I achieve that?

Steps taken to remedy this:

I tried different filters, like "project in (XX, YY, ZZ) and ((type != epic)or (type = epic and issueLinkType is not EMPTY))", but none of these really work. Either epics are not in the board, or they are as seen above. I also tried creating a board with only epics, same issue here.

I have also created an epic + issue in the board itself, there it works flawlessly.

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Simmons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Hi Lena,

I'm a little confused on your needs so please bear with me as I back up a bit.

First, here is a query that will find everything below a specific epic (including sub-tasks)

project = XXX and ("Parent Link" = ZZZZ-123) or (parentEpic = ZZZZ-123) order by id DESC

Does this help? What would you like to do next?

Take care,

Michael

Lena W_ June 13, 2022

Hi Michael. Thanks for taking your time to help! I think I didn't clearly communicate what I need and what the issue is.
With "project = XXX" I will see the epics in the new board, in the sidebar. But they have different names to the original board and don't have any issues attached, like in the first screenshot I sent. They will have their original label Number, but all of them are called "No-Label-345" for example

Even though in the original board the issues are linked to epics, if I look at them on the board I don't see the Epic label on the card. I would like to see that and also have all the other functions (e.g. Usable Epic Sidebar)

I am not sure if this explanation is better, I am sorry for bad explanation, my Jira is not in English and it is a bit hard to google the Name of that one small function you have an issue with.

When I tried creating those boards, a dev came up to me and said "oh, yeah, I tried that before and all the epics were fucked up", so it doesn't seem to be related to something specific I did. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events