How can I create sub tasks within the initial create task screen?

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

I am considering using JIRA for field-walk logging system. As part of the field walk, there could be safety issues that arise that need to be tracked to completion. Naturally, my idea is to use a Task for the field walk, and sub-tasks for the issues that are noted.

The problem is it is too time consuming to stand around making sub-tasks, and the user won't remember enough information if they wait to get back to their desk. I was hoping for some sort of custom field that could act as a view for subtasks while creating the main issue, and then create the sub-tasks when the main task is created. I have some ideas in mind that would utilize Blitz actions (Kepler) but it still seems a bit tedious. Also, it is ideal to do this on a mobile device like a phone or a tablet, so utilizing mostly stock features would be integral to utilizing existing native applications for JIRA on those devices.

Another idea I had is to use a field that has a yes/no radio button as well as a comment field, and then use that to generate the sub-tasks. However, I was unable to find a custom field like this in the marketplace.

I'm hoping someone else has encountered this and has a suggestion. Thanks for your time!

1 answer

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

Hey DJX,

Take a look at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.hascode.plugin.jira-quick-subtasks

You will still need to create the parent task first and this just simplifies creating multiple sub-tasks. You might find it helpful.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion! I have looked at this as a solution, but unfortunately I don't think it will work. The users will already struggle to use the system in the regular way and I don't think they will be able to get the formatting right while walking around in the field.

Suggest an answer