How can I create levels of group access to issues within a project

Rick Church June 8, 2015

My company just began using JIRA for bug tracking and so we're all pretty new to it.  We make a software tool used by various customers to test and debug hardware under development.  Because of the proprietary nature of details included in issues filed against our software by our customers I need a way to cleanly segregate each customers access to issues from one another while at the same time allowing our internal developers and testers full access to all issues.  I'm thinking this is best handled by an issue level group permissions schema.  I would also need a way to ensure that when a new issue is filed by any member of a particular customer group that issue is available by default to only other members of that customer group and our internal employees group.

It looks like issue level security might work for this, but I'd need to know my schema implementation is foolproof and that customers wouldn't even be able to see issue descriptions or names of other permissions groups while browsing. 

Any advice would be appreciated.. thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2015

I think your approach is correct. But you would need to test it to make sure that your specific exact needs are met. My recommendation here would be to trial this in a test project. If you run into specific issues, then you can reach out to us for support.

Suggest an answer