How can I create an automation rule trigger to run when ANY jira field is updated

Olga Toverovskaya April 30, 2021

Hi There, and thanks in advance for responding if you know the answer. 

I'm trying to create a Jira automation rule to trigger whenever any field is updated in an issue.  

My workflow: user submits a request, support team receives the ticket and sends it to another team to work off.  I have automation  set up to manually clone the issue from parent to child projects to maintain visibility but now I would like the child to parent cloning to happen automatically and not manually.  

Is this possible?  And if so, how should I configure the trigger?  

Thank you in advance. Olga

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

Hi @Olga Toverovskaya,

There is an issue updated trigger available. Check out Automation for Jira DC/Server documentation and scroll down to find the issue updated trigger.

You can specify a JQL condition further on to limit the selection of issues to apply further actions on.

Hope this helps!

Olga Toverovskaya April 30, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout , thank you for the lovely idea!  This "when to run the rule" part of the JQL query works beautifully with the when issue is updated.  How do I next say to update all the fields in the linked (parent) issue?  Please say there's a magic trick for that too!  

Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

If you want to do something on the child issues when the parent issue is updated, you could extend your rule and add an "Issue branch" on all linked issues when the issue is updated.

That way, you can add actions on the child issues when the parent issue is updated

Like Olga Toverovskaya likes this

Suggest an answer