How can I create an automatically prioritized queue of issues?

Emily Spencer March 21, 2016

I have a team that does not use Agile and we do not have JIRA Service Desk. The team is looking for a way to automatically prioritize issues within a single filter and in a single project. 

I don't believe Rank will work because they do not use Agile and they want to prioritize issues automatically by Issue Type (there are 13 issue types within the project). 

For the time being, I've set them up with 13 filters, each filter having its own Filter Results gadget on their team dashboard and the gadgets arranged in descending priority. The problem is, with 13 filters this takes up a lot of space on their dashboard.

Is there a field that we can add to the issues with a formula to determine rank of the individual issue? Or a way to prioritize in the list view based on Issue Type? 

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2016

You're right, you need Agile (or Software if you're on JIRA 7+) to provide the ranking field.

The only way I can think of doing this without ranking is to

1. Prefix the names of the issue types with numbers so you can sort on them (feels clunky)
  2. Find/write a scripted field that can do it for you (advantage - you can embed whatever logic you want, e.g. issue type + due date + t-shirt colour.  Disadvantage - needs code)

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

I believe all we're looking for here is typical ordering. In JIRA, that is brought to us with the ORDER BY keyword in JQL.

For instance, let's take a look at this query on JAC – 

project = CONF AND resolution is EMPTY ORDER BY type ASC, priority DESC, due ASC, created ASC

To break down the sorting – 

1. First, group by Issue Type (type) in ascending order
    • This achieves sorting by issue type, provided the sorting is alphabetical (eye roll)
  2. Then, group by Priority in descending order
  3. Finally, we should take Due Date and Created into consideration as well

Emily Spencer March 21, 2016

The problem is that the issue type order that they're looking for is not alphabetical which I think Nic's comment would solve that issue if we added a numeral to the issue type name. If there was a way to define the order using JQL something like (ORDER BY type Issue Type C, Issue Type A, Issue Type B, etc.), that would be perfect. 

Suggest an answer