It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I create an User Story template in Jira?

We have specific project in Jira. If we create an User Story we have a template how to write it. Is it possible to generate this template in Jira, so when we create a new user story in this project the template is already there?

3 answers

So I am working ways to improve the process with the team (using Agile in a Waterfall world, so I am adapting).  One of the things that I have thought of is to:

1. Create a generic user story with associated sub-tasks, etc. for a standard development.

• As a [role], I would like to do [task], in order to do [objective].
    • Subtasks - 
      • Analysis
      • Development
      • Code Review - [4 hour estimate in general]
      • Merge - [1 hour estimate in general]
      • Etc.

2. Every time there is a new user story needed, take a clone of the generic user story and work on it that way.

3. Take the cloned user story and customize it to the work at hand.

• As a Basketweaver, I would like to design my baskets with CAD, in order to mass produce.
    • Subtasks - 
      • Analysis - Basketweaver CAD specs [4 hours]
      • Development - Basketweaver CAD dev [10 hours]
      • Code Review - [2 hour]
      • Merge - [1 hour]
      • etc.

Not sure that is advisable. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me if not using a plug-in. I'm looking at doing exactly this.  The subtask names will all come prefixed with CLONE (by default but can be disabled on a global instance basis)

Like # people like this

We are doing the same thing.  Given the tool this seems to be the path of least resistance.

0 votes

Hello,

Kindly, have a look at this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211044/issue-templates-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It is not possible to have issue templates out of the box.

Hi Alexey,

thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

You are most welcome!

sorry but that's totally garbage. Why would we need to pay for a feature that comes out of the box in every other project management tool, including the free ones, on the market?

Hey @Sebastian_Grutz ,

You can try Easy Templates for Jira Issues add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219112/easy-templates-for-jira-issues

It allows you to create the most general and useful templates for different issue types and cases, like story, bug report, on/offboarding and other processes. Add subtasks and set Templates per issue type.

Cheers,
Pavel 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you