How can I create a single project and pull in multiple components?

Samuel Levine July 23, 2018

I have a single project created, lets call it "Car".  Now in order to build Car I need user stories from other components (engine team, wheels team, frame team, etc.) Is there a way to have one Scrum board called Car and pull in multiple user stories/epics from the other components for my 1 Car?  So the components are building multiple cars but doing user stories that are specific for certain Cars.

Using JIRA Agile - 

1 answer

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Hi Samuel,

I'm having a small issue with your overall wording here. But let me try. Where do you manage your issues you want to have on the board? In one or more projects for example? Basically just try to define the right JQL query / board filter for your Scrum Board. You know all components you need on that board? JQL: component in (Component1, Component2, etc.)

That is too broad and you need to narrow it down to some other specifics (e.g. projects or issue types) JQL: component in (Component1, Component2, etc.) AND type in (abc, xyz) AND project .....

You can pull everything you need into a board as long as you can write the right query for it. But keep in mind that a board is just like a visual representation of the issues. Whatever you have on the board can be from multiple sources (projects), can have different workflows etc. Does that help in any way? Best, Max

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Or if easier you can exclude the components you don’t want ...component not in(). Whichever method requires less typing and survives long term when new components are added. 

Samuel Levine July 24, 2018

@Max Foerster - K15t Thank you I will give the component breakdown a shot within the query.  Thank you!  I do apologize for the wording as some times I have difficulty putting the fast paced words flying through my head onto paper!

Samuel Levine July 24, 2018

@Jack Brickey  Thank you as well I will see which one is easier to pull the information from.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2018

Anytime. At the risk of being redundant an overly obvious - i always try to avoid very specific filters for boards as they tend to break over time. in this case including components in the filter will require that you consider updating the board's filter each time a component is added to your project(s).

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2018

Totally right @Jack Brickey, maintenance will definitely be an issue here

Suggest an answer