How can I create a checklist for releases?

Sebastian Sartor May 30, 2018

Hi,

I am looking for a simple way to have a checklist on Releases? There are a lot of tasks which have to be done prior to a release such as "write and publish release notes", "communicate downtime with affected teams", "check dependencies with other systems"... I already found different add-ons for checklists within tasks, but nothing for releases. Do you have any idea?

Thanks,

Sebastian

4 answers

2 votes
Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2019

Hello @Sebastian Sartor 

you haven't specified whether you are using Jira Cloud or Jira Server.  As you mentioned, you have already found some apps  that introduce checklists in Jira issue view. One of them has been developed by us - Multiple Checklists for Jira

I can quickly share how using checklists to track releases work in our case. We maintain a checklist template that is named "Release checklist". It contains entries such as "Update documentation", "Bump versions", "Perform regression testing". We also have a ticket created for each release. The release tickets have the "Release checklist" added from a saved template. As we work on releasing, the entries are checked by people responsible for them. Once all items are checked it means we are ready for release.

Hopefully this is useful.

Best,
Sebastian.

0 votes
Alina Kachan_Railsware_ February 26, 2019

Hi @Sebastian Sartor,

In my team, we are managing Releases by means of Smart Checklist add-on, which gives the possibility to add simple instruction per each release task to simplify things. Minimalistic UI and markdown syntax support, make the tool a helping hand in the process.

Here is a Release Checklist example the way we like it. Probably, it'll be a convenient way to go for you too :)

Yaniv Hoobian Schmal May 6, 2019

Hi, 

can this add-on create the checklist form all issues in the version?

by gathering the checklist form each issue?

0 votes
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 30, 2018

Hello @Sebastian Sartor,

When comes to Jira Cloud, there is no API available to extend Releases page. 

The simplest solution to solve the problem, that comes to my mind, is to create a Jira issue/task every time you plan a release and attach a checklist of things to do ("write and publish release notes", "check dependencies", "write a blog post", etc.). 

Issue Checklist add-on provided by my company allows to automate that process. Here is a brief overview:

• First, create a list of Checklist Items ("write release notes", etc.) and save as Template, (you can name the template "Checklist for a release")
  • Next, make the saved Template default for a given project and selected issue type (create new or pick existing issue type used only for the purpose of a release)
  • For every release create new Jira issue (of issue type selected above) - Issue Checklist add-on will do the rest, i.e. it will attach a list of checklist items defined in the step first. 

Issue Checklist can also block resolving Jira issue from the step #3 if not all checklist items are completed.

Let me know if you have any questions to the workflow I described. I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
Jack

0 votes
Deleted user May 30, 2018

Hi @Sebastian Sartor,

My suggestion would be to create a "release checklist template" task with sub-tasks for each action and then use the Clone action every time a new release is required.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer