How can I control issue notifications based on who did something with an issue?

Thomas Keller August 10, 2011

Has Jira the ability to notify on actions based on _who_ did them?

Use Case: We have a couple of "customer" users in a project that have the "Customers" role and we want to have the whole team (or at least more than just the project owner) to be notified when people with this role create or update issues.

Is this somehow possible in Jira or can otherwise be achieved with a Jira plugin?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2011

Notifications all revolve around the issue, not the user taking the action, so you will need a bit of code.

My instinct is to write a listener that will catch "create" and "edit" events in the relevant project, scan the user who triggered it and then fire off a separate email if it spots they are a customer.

Oh, and it might be worth looking into "stalker" reporting - you can set up an "Activity Stream" which reports on changes made by a user, so that will tell you what a specific customer is up to. If you can easily identify a filter that will trap the issues they're likely to be working on (e.g. "reported by them"), you can run that instead of watching individual accounts.

Thomas Keller August 10, 2011

I think the "stalking" solution might indeed be the best option for us, especially since one can add multiple (comma separated) logins of users one wants to monitor. And since Dashboards can be shared amongst users its not even needed that every user has to create such an activity stream, they should be sharable amongst all people who're interested in updates.

Many thanks for the hint!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2011

Oddly, I've just come back from a quick meeting and walked past a team displaying a "stalk filter activity stream" on their project status display!

Suggest an answer