How can I configure a required field to make it optional?

Nic Olson January 26, 2017

I have gone to Field Configurations > Configure.  I see how I can update fields to be required.  How can I update a required field configuration to be optional?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2017

CLick in the same place - it's an on/off toggle.

Nic Olson January 26, 2017

I'm not able to follow your instructions.  There is no on/off toggle button. I think I am not on the correct screen.  Can you please indicate which screen I should be able to see the on/off toggle button?

image2017-1-26 11:21:41.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2017

In your screenshot, look at "environment" - you see where it has the "required" link?  That's a toggle.  If you click it, you'll come back to the same place, but it will not show "optional" (and your users will have to fill in environment)

Some fields cannot be made mandatory or optional - you can see the Epic fields in there.

Am D March 10, 2017

That's helpful... But here I have another situation. I don't see "required/optional" Options at all .. I see only Edit, Hide and Screen. Also this field is required in my workflow. Now I have to remove required conditions for this field throughout my workflow.

Any suggestions?  @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2017

Take a closer look at the field configuration, as above.

Mr Andersen April 12, 2023

Clicking on the Required link again turns the field into an optional field, but there is no indication that this has happened. The link is still called Required, no matter how many times it has been clicked.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

No, it does not.  If you click "required", the link changes name to "optional" (which shows you that the field is currently required). 

I don't think this is the best way to show this, I would prefer an explicit and clear "this field is currently optional/required" display of some sort.  But the toggle to other option is clearly labelled.

Suggest an answer