How can I combine mail handlers?

David February 8, 2019

Hi there,

I want to set up an email question/answering process.

• An email should create a new issue
  • A reply made to an email should update the Jira issue which was mentioned in the subject with a comment 

I manage to get it working in pieces, but not the way I want it to work: 

If I use the mail handler "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue", an email gets created if no issue is mentioned in the subject. However the comment which is added to existing issue contains the whole email (the new text and the "old" one which was in the email before, since I hit reply and deleted nothing).

So I tried the handler "Add a comment before a specified marker or separator in the email body" to just get the part the user replied. I set up the Split Regex, and it works fine. Only the text the user added is listed as a comment and the "old" text of the mail is not added as a comment. But if want to send a new email (no Jira issue in the subject) to the mailbox, I get the error: "Could not find a corresponding issue to comment and 'Create a new issue from each email' is not selected."

Is there a way to have the best of both worlds? Creating a new issue if no issue is mentioned and only adding the "new text" as a comment if the user replies to the email?

1 answer

0 votes
Tim Graffam June 3, 2020

@Daniel 

I stumbled upon this question from searching on this very issue. Any chance you figured out a way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer