How can I combine a kanban and scrum project into one scrum board?

Joyce Yip January 22, 2019

I have followed the advise online on how to combine multiple projects into one big board.

The problem is that one of the projects is kanban whereas everything else is scrum.

All issues from my scrum boards show up ok in the active sprint view but the ones from kanban (it's a service desk project) are not showing.

Is there a way to fix that? 

Thank you!

2 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

Hello,

All issues, which you can see on a board, are selected by the filter for the board (board settings -> General). Just adjust this filter so that this filter chose issues form all required projects.

Joyce Yip January 22, 2019

Hi Alexey, thanks for your quick response. 

The filter for the board in the board settings has been set up to choose issues from all required projects.

I can tell it is doing so because I can see issues from the Kanban board in the backlog.

The problem is I cannot see those issues are showing in the active sprint view.

I also double checked that there isn't any unmapped status. All relevant statuses have been mapped to a column in the combined board column management setting.

What could possibly be the reason why some issues disappear from the active sprint view?

It seems that all scrum boards are working. It's just the one kanban board (which is the board associated with our service desk) that is now showing on the active sprint view.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

Kanban boards do not have sprint. Only scrum boards have sprints.

Teresa Loutzenhiser May 10, 2019

I had this same problem.  I wanted my team to be able to see everything in one spot across multiple projects.  On one of the projects I was using a Kanban board and the others were all Scrum.  I created a new Scrum board on one of the projects that was already scrum.  I synchronized my status' across all projects.  In the backlog view on the new board I created a new "dummy" sprint for the items that were in progress on the Kanban board and pulled them in, then started the sprint.  This allowed me to see everything under the active sprints.  I then created swim lanes by assignee, and now I can see everything in one view that a person is working on across multiple projects.  This is very helpful when there needs to be a discussion on priorities.  I hope this helps.

Like Henri Riihimäki likes this
Ramyagr August 14, 2019

Hi @Teresa Loutzenhiser : I need to do exactly what you have mentioned. But I did not understand how you have done this step -  "I synchronized my status' across all projects" . Can you please explain?

I also created a dummy sprint in the new scrum board of one of the existing projects. However I couldn't see tickets from kanban board in the backlog. I would be thankful if I could get some help on this. 

Like Emily Hammermeister likes this
Teresa Loutzenhiser August 15, 2019

Hi @Ramyagr By synchronizing my status I meant that each project had to have the exact same work flow.  i.e. To Do, In Progress, Testing, Done etc.  Then on each individual board, the "Columns" needed to be set up the same way as well.  Once this is done, no matter which board you go to it looks the same.  Then you create the new board with the same columns and bring in multiple projects and do swim lanes by assignee.  I hope this helps.

Like Thomas Richardson likes this
0 votes
Pedro Miguel Silvestre September 25, 2023

Hello @Joyce Yip

I don't know if you still have the issue but basically I fixed it creating a new board, in this case a Kanban one.

You can use the same filter that will get issues from Kanban and Scrum boards and create the collumns as you wish, you will have now all your boards from different projects combined.

Suggest an answer