How can I color Jira Board labels like Trello?

Douglas Gaskell July 16, 2018

I want to use Jira to manage tasks instead of Trello, but the lack of label colors makes it very difficult to quickly find something under a certain set of statuses.

Trello employs this to great effectiveness, even the Jira frum has colored tags. Github also uses this well.

Jira Forums:

chrome_2018-07-16_13-23-23.png

Trello:

chrome_2018-07-16_13-25-05.png

Github:

chrome_2018-07-16_13-25-43.png

How can I color labels so there is at-a-glance information on cards? Are there any extension that do this, or userscripts that might?

If none of the above, what would it take to make an extension that can do this? Can an extension do this?

5 answers

11 votes
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2018

@Douglas Gaskell

You can also add a color ribbon on the cards within the board configuration. 

On the board, click the ... or Board settings button.
Select Card Colors from the left Menu, then select the context you want to use for those colors, such as Issue Type, Priorities, Assignee or Queries, where you can write a JQL statement and select the color.

Board Card Color.JPG

It ends up looking something like this:

user story card color.JPG

Hope that helps!

6 votes
Meher Gara June 3, 2021

Dear Atlassian community,

I'm a person who works with color code... like instead of spending time looking at the tasks and the "labels" (yes I know there is labels.) all we want is that those labels have some colors ... so you can "SCAN" the issues without effort.

is there any way to do that. if it's not .. should I create my chrome extension to this ? 

Thanks !

2 votes
Anton Warkentin August 29, 2022

If you are in the cloud, this app might be a good option for you: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1228319/colorful-labels-for-jira

Best regards,
Anton

1 vote
Dam Nguyen August 9, 2020

So sad that this functionality is not available, but this is a work-around method for someone needs it:

1. Open your ticket list

2. Press F12 to open the browser tools.

3. Choose which label you want to colorize and the color you want to use for them.

4. Open tab console of the browser tool and paste this code:

$('.lozenge[title^="release"]').css('background', 'blue').css('color', 'white')

with: "release" is the content of label you want to colorize (replace it with the label you want of your system).

with "blue" is the background color of the label (replace it with the color you want for your labels).

with "white" is the text color inside the label, I choose white because it's easy to see  (replace it with the color you want for your labels).

My result:

label.png

This is only a temporary solution but hope it help :)

Andreas Lärkfeldt March 24, 2021

Why is ”almost” all replies to question re formulated? :D why don’t people just trust that the original sender know what they want? :D

I think the original description says it all but this is how to clearify another usercase.

we can’t use card layout color when we have added more than one label/component to an issue - which color should then be added? The specific labels must have a color box as stated above! 

This can’t be that hard to either do, understand or decline from Atlassian?

what is Atlassian stand on this? It already exist in Trello...

Like Giacomo Vannucchi likes this
0 votes
jesusoros July 16, 2018

Maybe it doesn't look the same way, but in order for you to see those kind of labels in JIRA, you can try using Components or Versions, even maybe Epics (Just in case you're just going to use it to locate them).

Suggest an answer