How can I check if Jira was started in Debug mode

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 3, 2017

I have a development Jira running on Windows. I start and stop it multiple times during the day. Each time I need to connect to it to debug I forget whether I started it using "start-jira.bat" or "catalina .bat jpda start".

Is there a way to find out if a running Jira was started in debug mode or not.

The only way I could find is to confirm the configured debug port from catalina.bat and try to connect a debug session through the IDE. If connects then debug mode, if not then not.

You might have guessed I am hoping for a more elegant solution that does not include the use of an IDE.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2017

Hi Emre,

While debugging JIRA is not my specialty, one thing that should be common is the fact that the port needs to be listening.  Since that should be true you should be able to run a command similar to netstat to find out if the port is listening.  On Linux and OS X I use the following to find out which ports are listening:

netstat | grep "LISTEN"

Another command you may try if you're on Linux/OS X  is lsof.  In Windows you should be able to use netstat as well, however, I would also refer to the post titled Use PowerShell to Identify Port Connections in Windows 8 for additional assistance.

Hopefully that helps a bit. 

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer