How can I change the "My Open Issues" filter?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Because our workflow extends beyond the resolving of an Issue, the built-in system filter My Open Issues does not list all Issues that are still open. I can -- and have -- written a filter that does. It is named All My Open Issues.

But I want to change, hide or delete the system filter My Open Issues because it gives my users incorrect results.

How can I do this?

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013
Ideally you should be changing the workflow to set a resolution only after the actual completion rather than attempting to change the default filter.
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

I concur with the initial person asking the question. Open is just a single status. Often, items that are truly open for a customer's workflow are more than just that one status. We have open, ready for grooming, and groomed -- all, which indicate an open status.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2013

In this specific case, the My Open Issues filter doesn't actually display issues based on the "Open" status, but if the field is resolved or not. That is, this filter searches for the following, not the status itself:

assignee = currentUser() AND resolution = Unresolved

What Renjith mentioned is that the resolution should only be set after the issue is resolved, and once an issue is resolved it should no longer be open. Hence the filter works as expected.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2013

We are -- as we often are -- talking about vocabulary. JIRA arbitrarily decides that an Issue is "Resolved" when something is put in the "Resolution" field. But if your workflow dictates that you must put something in that field midway in your workflow, then the JIRA "Unresolved" thing is broken, telling you things are resolved when, in fact, they are not.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2013

In fact most stuff in JIRA is tied to the fact that once a resolution is set it means that the activities for that issue is completed.

And I just checked, the filters appear to be hard-coded in the code, didn't find anything in database.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013

Yes, I know. Unfortunately that is not true for all of the workflows in the world.

I had an idea over the weekend I may try:

I'll create a separate "Resolution." field to be used like the current one. Then later in the workflow, when I want a step to really resolve the issue, I'll copy the contents of 'Resolution.' to 'Resolution'

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2013

Call it a different name, so that users do not get confused :)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2018

I did a similar thing for milestone events; Completed Development, Completed Testing. Then we marked it resolved when it was deployed or 

Like Denis Timoshchuk likes this
4 votes
Damian Nowak November 9, 2013

You can't edit a built-in filter, which is hard-coded, but you can trick your HTML. When you click "my open issues", you will be redirected to a custom filter of your choice.

First of all, create a custom filter, share it with everyone and write down its ID, e.g. 10454.

Then paste this code as announcement banner at /secure/admin/EditAnnouncementBanner!default.jspa:

<style>
  #announcement-banner {
    padding: 0 !important;
    border: none !important;
  }
</style>

<script>

var filterId = 'CUSTOM FILTER ID HERE';

AJS.$(function() {
  var replaceUrl = function(link) {
    var $link = AJS.$(link);
    var url = $link.attr('href');
    if (typeof url !== 'undefined') {
      var newUrl = url.replace('filter=-1', 'filter=' + filterId);
      $link.attr('href', newUrl);  
    }
  };

var selector = '#find_link-content a[data-filter-id="-1"], a.filter-link[data-id="-1"]';
  AJS.$(document).on('mouseover', selector, function() {
    replaceUrl(this);
  });

AJS.$(document).on('click', selector, function() {
    document.location.href = AJS.$(this).attr('href');
    return false;
  });
});

</script>

For programmers: this replaces all occurrences of links matching the given selector. There may be other places where a link to the built-in filter appears, and my hack doesn't work. If you find such place, share your selector and I will include it.

Optiver US Admin December 18, 2013

I also want to mention that before you make a change like this - test/backup! And also take a look at this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Pages+Are+Hidden+After+Configuring+Announcement+Banner

When I first started using the announcment banner to add javascript I forgot to close a </script>, and that will most likely result in your pages disappearing on you.

2 votes
MichelleO April 16, 2013

I could not edit the JIRA default filter either. So created a workaround that you should be able to follow.

1. Log into JIRA in non-Administrator status (just a plain ole login)

2. Open the ISSUES dropdown

3. Click SEARCH FOR ISSUES (it's the first option on the list)

((you should land on the ISSUE NAVIGATOR page))

4. Use the ISSUE NAVIGATOR to select all of the options that you want to filter by

5.Click SEARCH

6. Once your results are returned, click SAVE (it should be under the EDIT tab-third line down)

((you should land on the SAVE CURRENT FILTER page))

7. Name your filter

8. Share it with EVERYONE

9. Click SAVE

10. Now access the ADMINISTRATOR section of JIRA (click the ADMINISTRATION link in the top right corner)

((you should land on the ADMINISTRATOR page))

11. In the SYSTEM section, under USER INTERFACE, click SYSTEM DASHBOARD

((you should land on the CONFIGURE SYSTEM DASHBOARD page))

12. Above the first gadget, click ADD GADGET

((you should land on the GADGET DIRECTORY))

13. Scroll down and click FILTER RESULTS

((that section will gray out for a brief moment))

14. When it returns to a normal look, click FINISHED in the bottom right corner

((you will be returned to the CONFIGURE SYSTEM DASHBOARD page))

15. In the FILTER RESULTS gadget, click ADVANCED SEARCH (under the QUICK FIND box)

((a FILTER PICKER WINDOW will open))

16. Select the filter that you created in steps 1-9

17. Choose the number of results that you want to display, the columns to display, and the refresh interval. Click SAVE

18. Click the JIRA icon in the top left corner.

Congratulations! Now the JIRA System Dashboard displays the filter that you want. As a JIRA administrator, you should be able to delete the gadget that contains the filter that is no longer of use to you.

***If you cannot see the filter or see an error message, please

a)Make sure you are on the SYSTEM DASHBOARD page

b) Return to the FILTER page and make sure that the filter that you created is shared with EVERYONE. If the filter is restricted, then the all users who are not a part of the restricted group will see an error message

1 vote
Keri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2016

Hi Everyone, 

I have opened a feature request for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-63317 - please take time to vote and add your comments to this issue.  

Cheers, 

Keri Hannon | Atlassian Support

1 vote
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
January 16, 2013

My Open Issues is a System Filter that can't be modified.

As a workaround, you can create a new filter based on that to be used.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2013

It would be nice to change the place where resolution is set, but you can't do that the way JIRA/Gh is configured. "Resolution" is not a field, but is controlled by whether or not you have put a value in the 'Resolution' field. In the case of a code change, the field needs to be filled in by the developer when the code change is checked in. But the Issue isn't complete at that point. It still needs to go to qa, build, final qa, and release.

Jan Behrens September 17, 2014

when you edit the Issue, say you have a field 'projected release' that, when an issue created, is empty because nobody knows at that point what needs to be done. On a later Date you can plan that issue and edit the issue. when saving the issue, this will result in 'fixed' state, since you have no possible way of let the required 'resolution' dropdown on unresolved. that should be corrected.

0 votes
gowri goli July 31, 2018

An alternative option is enabled Resolution field to a dummy or test project. When User click on the default Filter they will not get error message.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2018

That does not fix the problem that if you fail to deal with resolution, the gadget returns inaccurate reports.

gowri goli July 31, 2018

Good Point. If we do not need the resolution field for our context, or when Status field is a good detailed representation, what are the options? Maybe do not use the gadgets are filters based on the Resolution field, isn't it? 

Ideally, we should be allowed to change the query for 'My Open Issues' and any built-in query or gadget should give us the option to change the filter criteria instead of expecting to use Resolution field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2018

It's not just the gadgets and reports that are affected.  The whole of Jira (Core and SD) rely on the resolution at many points, and it's not a case of changing filters because they're hard coded and there are chunks of core code that rely on it as well.

Even if you don't want to use resolution, then your admins need to deal with it.  Set and clear it at the right points in the workflows, even if you only have one set value for it.

gowri goli July 31, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-. Thanks a lot. What impact will it have on those who are using Jira for Scrum and working in a timebox for a Sprint to use the velocity as one of the metrics? Will the workflow status of 'Done' will not consider the story as complete to include in the Velocity?

gowri goli July 31, 2018

My question is if Resolution field is not important or doing the same thing as our Status, what is the best option, we don't want to have both fields as they are redundant in our context. What is the best option?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2018

The Scrum and Kanban boards use different criteria - scrum is the column on the far right, Kanban uses a non-empty fix version to say "done".  However, if you look at the issues in any other way than the actual boards (including some of their reporting), the resolution still matters.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2018

If you don't use the resolution field you negate the value of many of the built in filters/reports. As several other people have said, Resolution is best used when the issue is closed.  For most people Status is where the issue is in the workflow process. It's been a while since I used JIRA for agile, but the 'Done' status would be mapped to issues with different workflow statuses and resolution. If the workflow continues beyond the development stage Done could be a workflow status of 'Development Complete' and any status further on. 

gowri goli July 31, 2018

@Joe Pitt Thank you. We wanted to eliminate the redundancy on the UI as shown in the following screenshot. We understand that Jira needs Resolution field. We have decided to update Resolution based on the final Status. We have also decided to hide Resolution on the UI.

resolution and done.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2018

See my previous comment for how issues are "done"

And you do need the resolution field.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2018

I agree with @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

gowri goli July 31, 2018

@Joe Pitt Thank you 

gowri goli July 31, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks again.

ANDRYXA January 15, 2019

That is how I do it if I want to overcome the hardcoded Jira workflows:

1)Type a query/filter (ex: "assigned to me" with any status, or list specific statuses of you interest)
2)Push search to make sure the result is the one you want it to be
3)"Add to Favorites" (or Bookmarks) with a descriptive name.

Next time just open Jira directly from Favorites (or Bookmarks) by clicking the Link of your interest.
You can create as many as you need, depending on your interest/project etc.

Good luck!

0 votes
Roman Sharipov October 11, 2016

Здравствуйте!

Очень нужная возможность редактировать в проекте на вкладке "Задачи" в опции  "Открытые задачи" - "Переключить фильтр" ("Open Issues" - "Switch filter") фильтры, создаваемые по умолчанию (Готово к проверке, Одобрено, Отменено) на избранные.

Или таковая возможность имеется?

0 votes
John_Gamble November 20, 2014

The javascript posted by Damian Nowak was good but it only updated the menu, not the links on the left of the Filters page.

Here's an updated version which also replaces the "My Open Issues" link on the Filters page as well:

&lt;!-- 
This script is to be added to the announcement banner. It makes it so that when a user clicks on the "My Open Issues" built in filter, it instead redirects them to the "My Non-Closed Issues" custom filter. 
The inbuilt JIRA Filter "My Open Issues" doesn't show issues which have a value in the Resolution field, which in our workflows can be entered only part way through. For example a bug can be set as resolved by a developer but the issue still needs to be reviewed, timelogs checked, and billed to the client.
--&gt;
&lt;script&gt;

var filterId = 'YOUR_CUSTOM_FILTER_ID';

AJS.$(function() {
  var replaceUrl = function(link) {
    var $link = AJS.$(link);
    $link.attr('data-id', filterId);
    $link.attr('data-filter-id', filterId);
    var url = $link.attr('href');
    if (typeof url !== 'undefined') {
      var newUrl = url.replace('filter=-1', 'filter=' + filterId);
      $link.attr('href', newUrl); 
    }
  };
  var insertNewUrl = function(link) {
    var replacementLiLink = link.parent().clone();
    var replacementLink = replacementLiLink.children('a');
    replaceUrl(replacementLink);
    replacementLiLink.insertAfter(link.parent());
    link.parent().remove();
  };
  var selector = '#find_link-content a[data-filter-id="-1"], a.filter-link[data-id="-1"]';
  AJS.$(document).on('mouseover', selector, function() {
    replaceUrl(this);
  });

AJS.$(document).on('click', selector, function() {
    document.location.href = AJS.$(this).attr('href');
    return false;
  });
  AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
    var link = AJS.$('a.filter-link[data-id="-1"]');
    insertNewUrl(link);
  });
});

&lt;/script&gt;
S February 13, 2015

Love this hack...while it works for the filter in the Issue Navigator, I see it doesn't work for the "Assigned to Me" gadget. Is that something that can also be accomplished using this type of HTML in Announcement Banner?

0 votes
Al Harman July 9, 2014
Yes that's frustrating but it also depends on your context and how you expect to use the system. One decision we made early on was closed meant deployed. We tie our promotion process to jira process, jira states are hoe we control it. You can use the system mainly to track bugs, or mainly to use as a development tool and other uses or combinations. We have our version code control hooked in so we use it for all of that. Sometimes we get interferences between roles and what they think. Priority is one. If I set the priority at the start as a business analyst this is the company's priority. But later it might get changed because of technical reasons and now it gets twisted. Then a pm might change it for scheduling. These things happen, my view is the meaning transforms as the issue proceeds through the workflow. We have an important qa step and we expect to recycle it back to developers for rework. In order to do this we add a workflow step to incorporate this. This goes back to my original point, what are you using this for? When I used bugzilla the developers were saying, it's resolved, and so resolved meant it was done. And I am like, hold on a sec, this isn't even tested? It's not resolved in my mind. So we don't use resolved in Jira because that gets us into the old bugzilla trap of that meaning. Sounds like you may need to add a workflow step and break things up and precisely define what each means. Are you clumping meanings up in one state? These are questions to ask yourself when defining workflows. And who is doing the step. When we close an issue it means it was deployed into prod, or abandoned. The completion resolution indicates that, set At time of closure. Fixed means deployed, other means not. Don't get me started on how the filters treat non fixed issues that are closed. Or how the new agile board treats some of these states. It's annoying, but we are happy with the control and ability to document what is being done.
0 votes
Nicole Zanetti July 6, 2014

It has been several months since this thread was updated; has there been any progress made on making the system filters either more user-friendly or editable? As with most of the above commenters and probably a majority of JIRA users, my workflow does not end when an issue has been given a resolution. At a minimum, the issue still has to go through QA. This renders the system filters all but useless. I can create all the custom filters my users will need, but I can't force them to use them. As long as the system filters are there, users will run them. I need to hide them or change them, and I need to do that ASAP. This is causing all sorts of problems.

0 votes
Adnan Haider February 26, 2014

Thanks Domian Nowak, its pretty good script. but i need When i click "Assigned To Me", in Project Issues Panel Pre filter selection it redirected me to a custom filter of my choice.

0 votes
Al Harman February 10, 2014

This was a very interesting thread. We have added checkboxes to add statuses that we can independantly change. We have created a custom workflow with statuses so that it matches how we work. It is important for us that close and resolution are independantly set. However, we have a workflow for an outside Vendor, which uses the default statuses, one of which is resolved and unresolved, which we do not use.

My dashboard showing 'issues assigned to me' is now polluted with closed issues that are unresolved. Some unresolved items are "won't fix". These are items that I do not want to see on my dashboard as they are closed. They are not things I need to work on. There doesn't seem to be a way to configure my dashboard 'issues assigned to me', so now it looks as if the unresolved state has broken my dashboard as it is now filling up and not getting smaller.

Instead of an announcement hack (which looks very clever), do I need to try assigning a closed issue to a non-person user? Or is Atlassian planning on adding more configuration options to "Issues Assigned to me".

Or do I have to discard my dashboard and exclusively now use filters. I use filters for projects, so now I would have to write one for all projects that also excludes certain states. This is a workaround. I would expect the dashboard is where I should see issues assigned to me that are not closed. But it appears it is for unresolved. This is why I posted this here as it is related to this conversation, in terms of how the resolution has impacted a tool and workflow. (the end of my workflow is closed, yet in my work I now still have closed issues as the first thing I do when i login is look at issues assigned to me)

Suggest an answer