How can I change the Security Level on a sub-task to be different from the parent?

Monica Rainey November 6, 2013

How can I change the Security Level on a sub-task to be different from the parent? Now the edit screen says "The security level of subtasks is inherited from parents."

14 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

You can't do it. The child issue will always inherit the security level of the parent.

1 vote
Aleksandra Steer February 28, 2016

Hmm, maybe below plugin is enabling this for us because it works in our system.

JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions

Anyhow, it works for us so I thought I will share.

1 vote
Aleksandra Steer February 25, 2016

You can do it without using script is you add a Post Function 'If user is a member of the Internal Access role, set issue security level to Internal' at the Create Issue stage. I have also added a validator that states 'Only users with Edit Issues permission can execute this transition. ' as our clients do not have edit rights. This way all our sub-tasks stay internal.

1 vote
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

You can try and prepare workaround to achieve this:
1. Create custom field Group_Name_x (Group Picker type) and add it to screens
2. Add all groups with people whose are candidates to have access to browse permission (or to role and then this role to browse permission)
3. Add Custom field Group_Name_x to security level. Be carefull and don't include people from groups for subtasks to this security level.
4. Now you can add different values in Custom field Group_Name_x (when create/edit task or subtask)

Aleksandr Khandogin February 10, 2020

Amazing! It's works for me. Now I can change group peaker value by automotion. Thanks!

0 votes
Agate Elīza June 13, 2019

Vote for this issue if you want to resolve change of sub-task security levels - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65857

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

I've just tried it, it fails, unless the parent is internal as well.  Because that's what JIRA uses.

0 votes
Aleksandra Steer February 25, 2016

Hi Nic, we have a security level called Internal and the only group with access to it is a group with internal users so it does work. Every sub-task created of a client specific log is automatically set with 'Internal' security level and it is only visible to internal users.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2016

Actually, that fails, as there is no security level on the sub-task.

0 votes

Thank you both!!!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

S'ok, you gave a set of instructions as well as the basic principles - that's a better answer for her :-)

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

Sorry, Nic. I didn't see your comment.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Ah, well, you can't do that with security levels, but what you could try is putting a user group picker on the issues and using that in a security level. That way, you can say "visible to group:" But it is an additional field.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2013

Is this just a question about security level field or you want to achieve that different people have access to task and it's subtasks?

0 votes

I want the parent to be visible to one group and the subtasks to be visible to a different group

Suggest an answer