How can I change default assignee user?

I'm creating an issue. You will see "automatic" if you look at аssignee field. I want to change automatic user from Jack to John. How can I do?

15 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 03, 2012

Hi Dzianis,

the default assignee is either the project lead or it is "Unassigned".

If you have defined Components for your project, you can specify a "Component Lead" and make him the default assignee for all issues regarding this component.

Have a look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project

Best regards

Thomas

default assignee can be anyone now : add a post-function "Assign to..." on the "Create" transition through the workflow diagram view, all your issues can be assigned to whoever you like, reporter, lead, project role...

It's not obvious but as Florian says, Add a Post-function to the transition.

There are some set assignees you can use, or use a custom user by selecting the "Update Issue Field" option

Select Issue Field: "Assignee"

Select the user you wish to assign issue to on creation.

Is this likely to change any time soon? I find this quite limiting.

I'm project lead but I'd like my QA lead to triage new tickets. That means I have to set the QA lead as Component lead for all components. And if the QA lead changes I have 27 components to update...

I'm back to JIRA for the first time since 2009. An hour into setting up an IT project where 90% of the work will be done by a consultant, but for which I'm the lead because he simply doesn't know our environment, and already kaboom! it's my first head-smash-into-glass-desk moment.

Also I think there should be a Default Assignee option of 'Reporter'

Why is this so broken? Unassigned is not a valid state for an issue. Why is this so broken?

It's pretty crazy that this is still an issue at all. Why is Atlassian digging their heels in on this? The question was asked literally 3.5 years ago. Allowing the default assignment to be any user should not be a difficult change. I'd love to hear from them why they aren't willing to make that change. 

You can add a post function to the create issue transition that will set the assignee to the reporter, the current user or the project/component lead developer.

When editing the workflow select the Diagram view, select the create issue transition. A box will pop-up with a 'Post Functions' link. Go here and the rest is straight forward.

Still not quite as flexible as I'd like but maybe it helps!

If I understand correctly, this still requires a transition in states for it to take effect, correct? We'd like to see the functionality which would make "Reporter" the default at the time of issue creation.

"Create" is a transition between "Create" and "Open".

Atlassian should allow to change "Default Assigne" to any user.

Ditto on wanting to change the default assignee. The larger a project is, the less likely the lead will be doing triage, and the more painful to change the default setting on every component.

See YOUR PROJECT -> Administration -> Roles -> Default Assignee.

You can only set it to the Project Lead (or unassigned). This is so that issues without a Component can be assigned to the Project Lead by default.

This is works with JIRA v6.1.4.

I would very much like to see the capability to set the Default Assignee to Reporter

Agreed, Ronald's situation mirrors my own.

this is really still an issue?

I own projects A, B, and C, but I have different developers assigned to work tickets for those projects.  Why can't I be the project lead, but have the default assignee be those 3 different developers?

You can. Just create a post action on the "Create" transition in the workflow and that's it.

Though you cannot really assign an issue to 3 people at a time in JIRA...

i'm not trying to assign an issue to 3 people.

• projectA, lead: me, default assignee: developer1
  • projectB, lead: me, default assignee: developer2
  • projectC, lead: me, default assignee: developer3

i'm the lead on all 3 projects, but each has a different developer who should get assigned any tickets that come in.

a tickets should never be unassigned, so they're all getting assigned to me and the workflow is for me to then turn around and assign it to developerX depending on the project.  it's a waste of time.

5.5 years later and this still hasn't been fixed????? What is the reasoning behind not allowing the default assignee in a project to be anyone I want it to be? I use the same workflow for multiple projects, so adding a transition step to set an assignee is a hack that doesn't work (since I'd then have to have separate copies of the workflow for each project where the assignee is different from another project). Instead of forcing me into hacks that don't work why not just fix this????

Chris, see the javascript submitted by Ihor.   

Navigate to the project's field configuration and pasting the script into the description of the field.  

I guess I'm missing something--how does that javascript help solve the issue? It looks like it just clicks the "assign to me" link/button. That's not helpful and doesn't solve the issue. If I have a project where the "customer" can create issues, but not have issues assigned to them, and I want a default assignee other than the project owner/manager (say I want to push all new tickets to a triage developer) then I fail to see how this helps in any way. New tickets would either still have to be assigned to the project owner or go into a state of unassigned and be automatically assigned to whomever views them first (which is not helpful).

Are you saying that there is a way to use javascript at ticket creation time to assign the ticket to a specific named user? And how would this help for tickets that are created from emails?

It still seems, to me, like a deficiency that has persisted for 5.5 years that could be easily fixed and would create a lot of flexibility for customers.

Sorry mate,  I didn't fully internalize your requirement.   You are 100% correct.

I was hoping I was missing something...frustrating as it seems such a simple thing for them to fix. However, that's nice you can add javascript to the field description! I didn't know that. That can be handy for some other things.

Thanks.

This is very frustrating. As stated elsewhere, there is a person on my project who is responsible to triage issues. Why can't all new issues be auto assigned to this person? Or even allow me to define a roll called "Default Assignee" and then just put one person in the role.....

Make them project lead (you don't have to give project lead any admin), then tell it to assign to project lead.

Or make them a component lead on all components and make component mandatory so the user must fill in at least one.

As mentioned above, whack in a post-function on issue-create that assigns it to that person.

Personally, I agree, there should be another option, maybe "project nominee" handled the same way as "project lead" (but clearly separate). 

I'd also want to add functionality to catch either project lead or nominee being deleted or made inactive - the instant that happens, I'd want to flip both to someone who can take responsibility for the project and triage, although the exact rules there could be complicated (Last active Jira admin?  Last person on the project with assign rights to update any issue in it? etc)

JIRA 7.5

Go to Administration/Issues/Field configurations/Configure

On Assignee field click Edit

Put this code in Description

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
if (AJS.$("#assignee").val() == "-1"){AJS.$("#assign-to-me-trigger").click();};
});
</script>

Thanks Ihor. This is exactly what I needed (and I learned that js can be used in the field descriptions)!

I'm new to Jira, and not sure how to find Issues Configuration. Could you please list the steps how to navigate to the field where to add that script, using new Jira GUI?

It's a nice hack, but IMO, putting executable code in a text field is really a bad idea, reminds me of SQL injection :-(.

The solution, allowing any user to be assigned as default, must not override if the creator assigned an assignee. 

Wouldn't be such a bad idea to allow different default users by issue type either.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

292 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you