How can I change an issue type after the issue has been created?

Hi:

I'm a very new JIRA user, trying to figure my way around the system. I have a project with all of the screens, fields and basic workflow steps that I need. I would like to be able to change the issue type after the issue has been created, but I am unable to do so. There are other projects within my JIRA that have this ability, but I have not been able to replicate it.

Is this a permissions issue on the project, or would it be something workflow related? The workflow I'm using is very basic and is one of the workflows provided by JIRA.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks.

5 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Pedro Souza Atlassian Team Sep 26, 2014

Hi Tim,

Try moving the issue. You can choose to keep the same project, but change the issue type.

This documentation better explain how to proceed:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

This worked for me. NIce and simple!

Hi Tim, 

I'd suggest you to take a look over the issue types associated with the workflow scheme that this project/issue is using.

Perhaps you need to associate another ones so you can be able to edit this field.

Please take a look over Configuring Workflow for a Workflow Scheme (Change the issue types associated with a workflow) for more details on how to perform this. smile

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

depending on your permissions you can also click on edit and change the issue type.

Ollie Community Champion Sep 26, 2014

Permissions

Move Issues

Ability to move issues between projects or between workflows of the same project (if applicable). Note the user can only move issues to a project he or she has the create permission for.

You need the Issue Type Field in the Edit Screen and both issue types using the same workflow.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

83 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you