How can I change an issue type after the issue has been created?

Tim Rogers September 26, 2014

Hi:

I'm a very new JIRA user, trying to figure my way around the system. I have a project with all of the screens, fields and basic workflow steps that I need. I would like to be able to change the issue type after the issue has been created, but I am unable to do so. There are other projects within my JIRA that have this ability, but I have not been able to replicate it.

Is this a permissions issue on the project, or would it be something workflow related? The workflow I'm using is very basic and is one of the workflows provided by JIRA.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks.

6 answers

2 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2014

Hi Tim,

Try moving the issue. You can choose to keep the same project, but change the issue type.

This documentation better explain how to proceed:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

Eddy Borremans December 28, 2017

This worked for me. NIce and simple!

Like Deleted user likes this
1 vote
Anatoly Spektor January 24, 2019

Great Question, there is a similar one that I had replied to, but I will put it into here as well.

You go the issue, click on the icon and change it. I know it is better to see once than to hear/read it hundred times.

Here is the video on how to do it with new Jira (2019)

https://youtu.be/8dakajnzUSo

0 votes
James Brown June 14, 2017

You need the Issue Type Field in the Edit Screen and both issue types using the same workflow.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2014

Permissions

Move Issues

Ability to move issues between projects or between workflows of the same project (if applicable). Note the user can only move issues to a project he or she has the create permission for.

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2014

depending on your permissions you can also click on edit and change the issue type.

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2014

Hi Tim, 

I'd suggest you to take a look over the issue types associated with the workflow scheme that this project/issue is using.

Perhaps you need to associate another ones so you can be able to edit this field.

Please take a look over Configuring Workflow for a Workflow Scheme (Change the issue types associated with a workflow) for more details on how to perform this. smile

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Suggest an answer