How can I change JIRA board Administrator from the API? Edited

Hi, 

I'm using the JIRA Python API wrapper to create JIRA projects and boards. I wonder if there is a way  to change the board Administrator from either Python or REST API? I would like to have a different user than the one creating the board.

I am now using create_board(...) method and by default the administrator is the creator of the board. 

Thank you for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

There is a REST endpoint /rest/greenhopper/1.0/rapidviewconfig/boardadmins whose PUT method can set the administrators of the project. Data must be in the format:
image.png

Thanks for the quick reply!

Following that, I get a 500 JIRAError: Unrecognized field "userKeys"... 

Also is it supposed the set the board admin right for one board only? How is it linked to the proper board? 

Is there a place where I can get a bit of documentation on it ..?

I didn't find documentation so I think it is internal REST service which is not documented and can be changed between versions. I tested it a little and following valid JSON works:

{"id":1,"boardAdmins":{"userKeys":["admin"],"groupKeys":[]}}
  • "id" is ID of board 
  • "admin" is key of the user who is going to be set as administrator

you can set multiple users and groups as board's administrators

Thanks! It worked! :) 

Any idea on how to do it for confluence spaces as well using POST

confluence_server_url + '/rest/api/space'

hi Isabelle, you're welcome. Can you accept the answer and create a new Question with all the details? :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,176 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot