How can I block new stories to be created when an epic is already Done/Closed?

Jerri Chiu May 4, 2022

We want to have a mechanism to stop users from keep adding new bugs/stories into an epic that's already in the Done status. While it doesn't re-open the epic (doesn't changes its Done status), it makes it hard to manage. For example, we may miss the new work completely because the board's filter doesn't include the new issues. We are currently on Jira Server and Jira Cloud instances due to migration.

1 answer

1 vote
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2022

Hi @Jerri Chiu ,

You can add below workflow property at done status. 

jira.permission.create.denied   

workflow property.PNG

Dan Beneke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2022

@Sreenivasaraju P Does that property need to be added to the workflow applied to the Epic, the story, or both?  We've tried applying it to just the epic and didn't see the expected results.

Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2022

you need to apply this property for EPIC work flow at done/closed status.

similar question @

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-we-restrict-child-creation-under-an-Epic-when-the-Epic-is-in/qaq-p/1744336

Jerri Chiu May 6, 2022

@Sreenivasaraju P while this may block/hide the create child issue, what if an user creates an issue, and then in the epic link field just fills in the epic link? wouldn't that also add the issue to the epic as well?

Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2022

HI @Jerri Chiu ,

Can you try adding below property at done status of epic workflow and check.

Property Key: jira.permission.edit.denied

Property Value: denied

Jerri Chiu May 6, 2022

@Sreenivasaraju P Tried that, the "Create issue in epic" button indeed disappeared, but am still able to create child tickets by entering the epic link in the issue during issue creation.

Like Nuno Lamarao likes this
David Ortiz Bollain November 21, 2023

This solution didn't work for me.

I'm able to create child issues with + button inside the epic. 

David Ortiz Bollain November 21, 2023

This one worked:

Jira workflow property key - jira.permission.create.denied

Jira workflow property value - denied

Suggest an answer