How can I automatically create a new sub-task when another sub-task is complete?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2020

I am trying to manage tasks in a certain way so that a large task can be broken down into subtasks.  I don't want all of the subtasks to be created up front.  Instead, when one task reaches a certain point in its workflow the next task should be created.

I tried to do this in Automation for Jira but I am getting:

Error creating issue - Issue type is a sub-task but parent issue key or id not specified. (issuetype)

I don't see a simple way (or any way) to set the parent issue key or ID.  I've been trying to find this in the documentation but can't find anything that addresses this, which seems surprising.  I would have thought this was a fairly basic and common use case.

The following have failed:

{
"fields": {
"parent": "{{issue.fields.parent}}"
}
}

and

{
"fields": {
"parent": ["{{issue.fields.parent}}"]
}
}

Both result in "Error creating issue - data was not an object (parent)"

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2020

Capture 2020-11-17 at 22.16.35.png

Since code blocks are failing

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

Seems like I can't post a code block to answer this myself

Suggest an answer