How can I automate and set the 'Resolution' field in Automation?

Nir Malchy October 8, 2019

Hello,

I'd like to set the resolution codes in automation according to the ticket types.

I use one issue type: Support

I added another field which is called Sub-type. Sub-type values:

Support

Bug

Feature Request

I cannot seem to automate the 'Resolution' field in Automation.

This field is not available in the automated action "Edit Issue"

How can I automate and set the 'Resolution' field in Automation?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

If you are referencing to Automation for Jira, then I'm able to set the resolution in JSD.

See example below:

2019-10-09 09_30_29-Project automation - Jira.png

Can you explain how exactly you are setting up your rule?

Thank you, Gil.
I don't use the Automation for Jira plugin or any other plugin.
I use the available automation that is the Jira Service Desk Project

Here is the exact scenario ( I am attaching a screenshot of the Automation for clarification):

A customer support ticket (CS Ticket) is the one to communicate with the client.
In case of a bug, the CS ticket is linked to a BUG Ticket.

The Automation:
The Status of the CS ticket is changing according to the status transition go the BUG ticket.

The last part of the Automation I'm trying to implement:
When the status of the BUG ticket is set to 'Complete.'
Set the Status of the CS ticket to 'Done' and Set the Resolution code to "Code Fix."

While I can Set the Status of the CS ticket to 'Done,' I cannot see a way to set the resolution code to "Code Fix."

Thank you again, Gil, for your time and thoughtful advice.Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 4.21.48 PM.png

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

see my above answer.

This is not possible, unfortunately.

Like Nir Malchy likes this
Zack Foster May 8, 2020

@Gil Can you explain how you got the "No Response" option (which I am guessing is a "blank" response) to show up? When using Automation for Jira, I can only change the Resolution to one of the pre-existing Resolutions (Done, Won't Do, etc.), not set it to blank.

Cheers!

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2020

If you have Admin rights in Jira, you can manually add more Resolution types.

I've added "No Response" and I use it once there's no activity after 10 business days.

Like Zack Foster likes this
Zack Foster May 11, 2020

Ah, okay. I thought that was a system-defined entry that would actually clear the resolution out. I don't want reopened issues to have that strikethrough!

I was able to get what I wanted via a POST function in the workflow. But it's no fun implementing that POST function in potential hundreds of workflow steps across dozens of workflows. A global automation solution would be much easier.

Cheers

Like Joe Sparks likes this
0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

For those who are interested in a tutorial about updating the resolution field with jira automation, check this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ary5YG-7w&t=3s 

0 votes
David Sweeney October 8, 2019

I can't tell if you are referencing Automation for Jira plugin by Automation or something else.

If you mean to use the automation for JIRA the following may help. Otherwise I recommend opening a support ticket with the plugin developer. https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1

Here is a link for creating basic rules editing custom fields:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Use-custom-field-in-JIRA-Automation-plugin-rule/qaq-p/811530

Additionally, if you just want to set a specific resolution for the subtasks you can simply use the post function to update the resolution field in each of the transitions for each of the subtasks. Below is a link which can help with this strategy.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-automatically-set-issue-Resolution-to-quot-solved-quot/qaq-p/442222

Thank you, David.
I don't use the Automation for Jira plugin or any other plugin.
I use the available automation that is the Jira Service Desk Project

Here is the exact scenario ( I am attaching a screenshot of the Automation for clarification):

A customer support ticket (CS Ticket) is the one to communicate with the client.
In case of a bug, the CS ticket is linked to a BUG Ticket.

The Automation:
The Status of the CS ticket is changing according to the status transition go the BUG ticket.

The last part of the Automation I'm trying to implement:
When the status of the BUG ticket is set to 'Complete.'
Set the Status of the CS ticket to 'Done' and Set the Resolution code to "Code Fix."

While I can Set the Status of the CS ticket to 'Done,' I cannot see a way to set the resolution code to "Code Fix."

Thank you again, David, for your time and thoughtful adviceScreen Shot 2019-10-08 at 4.21.48 PM.png

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2019

Hi @Nir Malchy 

Now that I understand your scenario, I can tell you that this is a limitation of JSD.

For some reason, Atlassian didn't include the Resolution field to be set by JSD Automation.

This is a serious limitation which forces people to pay extra for Add-ons to do this job for them.

Here's is the JSD cloud issue where you can vote and comment to push this in pipeline for fixing JSD:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-3701

Like # people like this
Nir Malchy June 9, 2020

Hi Agin Gil! We ended up getting the Automation plug-in as a part of Jira. I wanted to seek some more advice from you. 

I'd like to create an Auto response that goes out to the report when a ticket is created:

After hours (I have an SLA which is weekdays 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM calendar) - so basically anything that comes between 5:00 PM and 7:00 AM.

Holidays - days that are designed as holidays in the same calendar.

Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2020

Hi Nir,

you need to use:

1. Trigger: Issue created

2. JQL Condition: created >= startOfDay(-7h) AND created <= startOfDay(17h)

3. Action: Comment on issue - Add your comment to the customer.

4. Click on the drop-down of More Options under the Comment on Issue action and tick the box 'Share with customer'.

Please validate the JQL that filters the correct issues you want.

Like Nir Malchy likes this
Nir Malchy June 16, 2020

Thank you!

So I tested that and it activated in the 'on hours'.

I wonder if I should be more like an 'OR' since it is "Before 7:00 AM OR After 5:00 PM".

So I am testing "created <= startOfDay(+7h) OR created >= startOfDay(+17h)"

Nir Malchy June 17, 2020

Thank you @Gil 

Thak you @Zack Foster and @David Sweeney 

Now, that I have the Automation for Jira as a part of the service desk, how would you create an auto-response that is for days that are designated as 'Holidays' - days that are designed as holidays in the same calendar?

How does this work with off-hours? Meaning, what is someone write in at 6:00 PM, which is always an 'off-hour', on a day that is designated as a holiday in the calendar?

Thank you again for all your help and support.

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2020

you can try to use the withincalendarhours() function. if you search for all issues which are NOT withincalendarhours() that should yield all tickets that are outside of calendar hours.

I haven't tried it but I believe that anything that falls over a weekend or a holiday is essentially NOT withincalendarhours()

I think this will cover off-hours as well.

Use JQL with this function and see if it shows you what you expect to find.

You might also try to use an OR function to combine created >= startOfDay(-7h) AND created <= startOfDay(17h) with withincalendarhours() to cover all bases.

But I suspect withincalendarhours()  is sufficient to cover all bases.

Then use my above automation example to build upon this function.

Suggest an answer