How can I assign a component based on an incoming email?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

JIRA CORE:  8.4.1

For one of my groups, when an item is created, post functions create sub tasks based on the component field

I am testing incoming emails with this team, but the component field doesn't populate data from the email.

How can I flag the component field in an email so it fills out on the JIRA side? 

Note: We have  ScriptRunner, but not sure if this can read the email, extract ,and fill in the component field. 

Thanks! <3

2 answers

0 votes
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Hi @Jonathan Smith ,

It will have hard to do it in the Email per se, what we can do it merge the Subtask creation and the Component field assignment on the Issue Created event.

Do you already have an existing script for the Subtask creation?

What will be the condition where the Component field be updated?

What are we looking for in the email so we can determine the value of the Component field? Subject? Body? From? To?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

Hi @brbojorque 

Within the email's subject it would be cool if we could call out a component by putting it within brackets. We do something similar with Hyland's Perceptive Content product. 

At this time, I don't think we need to investigate any further. The users just responded back to me and said they like the ability to review components before sub tasks are auto-created, so I'll end up moving the sub task creation post functions to after 'TO DO'.

a.jpg

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Hi @Jonathan Smith ,

It would totally make sense, there are a lot of ways it could go wrong when you auto-assign from the email's subject.

It is better to create a transition screen with the Component field in the form and then trigger the subtask creation.

0 votes
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2020

I am open to purchasing an add-on as this would benefit all teams. 

Suggest an answer